Baseball at Oral Roberts

wiu712

Oral Roberts won Friday night's game 3-0.

Weather: Sunny and clear, high 50's.

Attendance at Oral Roberts = 957.

Saturday's game will be at 2PM.
wiu712

Western won Saturday's game 5-2 ==> Oral Roberts first conference loss.

Oral Roberts is 7-1 in the Summit. Western is 4-4.

Weather: Sunny and clear, low 70's.

Attendance at Oral Roberts = 957.

Game time for Sunday's Game 3 has been moved up to 11AM due to expected rain in Tulsa.
Last edited by wiu712 on Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sealhall74

ORU installed an artificial turf infield for this season. Only 32 D1 schools have a setup like that. Looks very nice. I wonder what it is like to slide into a base on the artificial grass. I would think some sliding shorts would be an absolute must. Do you need special cleats for that stuff?
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Oral Roberts baseball stadium.
Tere North

sealhall74 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:39 pm ORU installed an artificial turf infield for this season. Only 32 D1 schools have a setup like that. Looks very nice. I wonder what it is like to slide into a base on the artificial grass. I would think some sliding shorts would be an absolute must. Do you need special cleats for that stuff?
The basepath is dirt, so "slid[ing] into a base on the artificial grass" isn't an issue. However, it might impact the outfielders.
sealhall74

Tere North wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:19 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:39 pm ORU installed an artificial turf infield for this season. Only 32 D1 schools have a setup like that. Looks very nice. I wonder what it is like to slide into a base on the artificial grass. I would think some sliding shorts would be an absolute must. Do you need special cleats for that stuff?
The basepath is dirt, so "slid[ing] into a base on the artificial grass" isn't an issue. However, it might impact the outfielders.
I think they went completely "dirtless" like the one below. As a coach, you would have to love a maintenance-free infield if you are not blessed with a grounds crew like most small college programs are not.

Here is a timelapse of the contruction:

[youtube][/youtube]
Embrace the pace of the race.
Tere North

sealhall74 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:39 pm I think they went completely "dirtless" like the one below. As a coach, you would have to love a maintenance-free infield if you are not blessed with a grounds crew like most small college programs are not.
Hadn't recognized that from the initial pix, it looked like dirt. And the time lapse doesn't show carpet laid for the base paths.

If it is all carpet, it sure would be rug burn big time, plus not being able to dig in at the plate, and I'd expect a need to move to rubber cleats to prevent caught cleats and turn ankles or worse.
wiu712

Oral Roberts won Sunday's game 1-0 in 10 innings.

The six runs allowed to ORU over the three-game weekend was the lowest amount ever allowed to the Golden Eagles in a conference series all-time.

Weather: Cloudy and overcast, low 60's.

Attendance at Oral Roberts = 758.

Western will return on the road for a Tuesday (April 4) match-up against SIU-Edwardsville before heading to Omaha (April 7-9) for a Summit League series.

Current Summit League standings:
Oral Roberts 8-1
South Dakota State 6-3
Western Illinois 4-5
Omaha 4-5
North Dakota State 4-5
IPFW 1-8