Soccer Programs

meganeck

Both soccer programs are struggling this year, maybe they will turn it around when conference season starts. I have to think Johnson coaching both programs has to be effecting both programs more negatively than it is positively.
sealhall74

The good Dr. can't be operating on two patients at the same time, I don't care how good he is.
Embrace the pace of the race.
meganeck

sealhall74 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:02 am The good Dr. can't be operating on two patients at the same time, I don't care how good he is.
agree, I noticed in the stories about the men's games. The coaches quotes are from a Volunteer assistant coach usually. So I assume he is the one coaching. If there isn't money to pay for 2 coaches maybe they should just get rid of soccer, because it doesn't look like this working.
wiu712

Men's Soccer is 1-4. The one win came against Mount Mercy University--a NAIA program in Cedar Rapids.
From Friday's Western Courier:
Men’s soccer tries to take down UMKC on the road.
https://westerncourier.com/38678/sports ... -the-road/

Women's Soccer is 0-6.
From Friday's Western Courier:
Women’s soccer looks for first victory of season.
https://westerncourier.com/38674/sports ... of-season/
wiu712

Men's Soccer beat UMKC 3-2. Attendance at UMKC = 138.
sealhall74

The women got first win in a 9-1 thumping of Chicago State. In their last 7 matches (all losses), Chicago State has been outscored to the tune of 48 to 3. As bad as that is, what is even worse IMHO is that there is only one (yes one) player from the Land Of Lincoln on their roster. Dont they play HS soccer in Chicago land? New coach in place, maybe he can turn it around but some serious work to do.
leatherneckcountry

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:13 am The women got first win in a 9-1 thumping of Chicago State. In their last 7 matches (all losses), Chicago State has been outscored to the tune of 48 to 3. As bad as that is, what is even worse IMHO is that there is only one (yes one) player from the Land Of Lincoln on their roster. Dont they play HS soccer in Chicago land? New coach in place, maybe he can turn it around but some serious work to do.
I don't understand why they stay D1 when was the last time any of there teams were relevant.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:11 am
sealhall74 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:13 am The women got first win in a 9-1 thumping of Chicago State. In their last 7 matches (all losses), Chicago State has been outscored to the tune of 48 to 3. As bad as that is, what is even worse IMHO is that there is only one (yes one) player from the Land Of Lincoln on their roster. Dont they play HS soccer in Chicago land? New coach in place, maybe he can turn it around but some serious work to do.
I don't understand why they stay D1 when was the last time any of there teams were relevant.
I don't really know about all the sports, but for men's basketball, their last winning season was '08/'09 when they finished 19-13. Before that though, it was '85/'86. Women's basketball, they did well in '10/'11, a couple of just over .500 seasons in '07/'08 and '08/'09, and then back to '85/'86. I think that very soon they're going to have 2 options:

1. Leave DI and drop to a conference that would require less athletic spending on scholarships and travel...maybe the DIII College Conference of IL and WI (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_C ... _Wisconsin) although they're all private currently, or (probably the better idea)...the Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference (http://www.ccacsports.com) and travel to such "far flung" places as South Bend, IN and Davenport, IA. They could have local "rivalries"...save a TON in travel costs...go hyper-local for recruiting...and could actually compete.

2. Merge with Governor's State and maybe look at one of the regional DII conferences.

Just for the heck of it, I did check their history on the other sports that have win/loss records too (for reference, they joined DI in '88/'89 season)...
Baseball - Their last winning season, 1971...last time they even reached 20 wins, 1991.
Women's Soccer - This is the 4th year of women's soccer at CSU...in that time they have 2 wins total....2-52-1 in first three years.
Volleyball - Last winning season was 1985, 0 wins from '08-10, 0 wins from '94-'98.

Not that we have a ton of room to talk regarding some of those sports...we haven't been great either, but it looks like they've been on the level of "historically bad" in some of them for a long time.

I think that probably the NAIA CCAC is the best option for them. They obviously can't afford to support a DI athletics program at this point, and considering the declining enrollment and lack of state financial support, it doesn't make sense trying to keep it running.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

Chicago State had been in the Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference until 1980.

The Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference consists of 14 schools in 4 states (Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, and Wisconsin):

Cardinal Stritch (Milwaukee)
Judson (Elgin)
Robert Morris (Chicago)
Roosevelt (Chicago)
St. Ambrose (Davenport)
Saint Xavier (Chicago)
Trinity International (Deerfield)
Calumet College of St. Joseph (Whitting, IN)
Governors State (University Park)
Holy Cross College (Notre Dame, IN)
Indiana-South Bend (South Bend)
Olivet Nazarene (Bourbonnais)
St. Francis (Joliet)
Trinity Christian (Palos Heights)

The Athletic Director at Cardinal Stritch is Tim Van Alstine: http://www.stritchwolves.com/staff.aspx?staff=115
sealhall74

Chicago State has no problem recruiting men and women tennis players from all over the world. I guess that qualifies them as a true Division I college program. :lol: