Western Baseball

wiu712

Illinois State won Tuesday's game 8-4. Western is now 3-15 on the season.

Weather: Cloudy, lower 40's.

Attendance at Alfred D. Boyer Stadium = 85.

Western will be home again on Wednesday vs the Missouri Tigers. Game time is 3PM.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:30 pm Illinois State won Tuesday's game 8-4. Western is now 3-15 on the season.

Western will be home again on Wednesday vs the Missouri Tigers. Game time is 3PM.
With all the rain we've gotten + cold weather and lack of sun the last few days, I'm amazed the field is in any condition to have a game on it. I have a very nice plot of mud around my house currently.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:16 am
wiu712 wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:30 pm Illinois State won Tuesday's game 8-4. Western is now 3-15 on the season.

With all the rain we've gotten + cold weather and lack of sun the last few days, I'm amazed the field is in any condition to have a game on it. I have a very nice plot of mud around my house currently.
Weather has been much cooler than normal here also. Looks like today it might get close to 60 with some rain. I think if you seriously want to have a baseball (or soccer for that matter) program north of the Mason Dixon Line, you have to consider an all-weather surface.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:13 am Weather has been much cooler than normal here also. Looks like today it might get close to 60 with some rain. I think if you seriously want to have a baseball (or soccer for that matter) program north of the Mason Dixon Line, you have to consider an all-weather surface.
Or have access to some indoor/covered facility for games in the first half of the season. For example, UNI doesn't play baseball, but for softball, they have an early-season tournament inside the UNI-Dome. They do have an outdoor grass/dirt field, but they don't play their first game on it until 4/11 this season. Looks like that's usually the case...they have their early tournament inside, play a bunch of tournaments and away games first half of the season, don't play outside at home until early to mid-april.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

Wiu got to play a whole Inning and a half before today's game against Mizzou was called the pitchers mound didn't look to bad but the home plate area was really bad.
wiu712

Western Baseball will start a three-game series at Fort Wayne on Friday at 2PM.
Necks2003

leatherneckcountry wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:55 pm Wiu got to play a whole Inning and a half before today's game against Mizzou was called the pitchers mound didn't look to bad but the home plate area was really bad.
That is too bad. We never/hardly ever get a power 5 conference to come to WIU for anything.

I am surprised Coach didn't call off the game before making Mizzou drive all the way to campus with the weather uncertainty. I am guessing Mizzou won't forget about that.
wiu712

Wednesday's afternoon rain was a surprise. Wednesday was suppose to be the best day of the week: sunny and near 60. But the clouds moved in earlier than expected, and light rain started falling at 2PM. The weather was looking good at the time that Mizzou would have been leaving Columbia for Macomb.

The rain must have been very localized--like right over the campus--as the total precip for Macomb was only 0.09 inches.

We will have another chance to host a Power Five team on May 15 when the Iowa Hawkeyes come to Macomb.
leatherneckcountry

Yeah when I looked at the forecast yesterday morning it was listed at about a 10% chance of rain it rained really hard for a little bit and rained overall for maybe an HR with a lot of that being more of a mist i live about 0.25 of a mile from the ball park and when I went to walk over it was coming down pretty good.
wiu712

Fort Wayne won Friday's game 3-1.

Attendance at Fort Wayne = 129.

Game 2 will be Saturday at 10AM.