Men's Soccer

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:Mackenzie field must be a little wet. Soccer moved to practice fields today. Inquiring minds want to know: What's up with that Guitarish-looking crop ring on the Vince Grady field east of Mackenzie? And who or what is "BC". It might not be there now but it sure was when the Google satellite was snapping pictures.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/John+ ... 90.6814942
If I had to guess, I'd say it could be something to do with the balloon rally. Maybe a target or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

The university has worked on improving drainage at MacKenzie Field. But it still continues to be a problem.

Might be time to consider moving the scoreboard, press box, and portable bleachers to the practice fields and making that the soccer field.
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:06 am The university has worked on improving drainage at MacKenzie Field. But it still continues to be a problem.

Might be time to consider moving the scoreboard, press box, and portable bleachers to the practice fields and making that the soccer field.
What do you think the problem is? Just from the aerial, my first guess would be that some water from parking area next to field is draining toward the field. Good location for the field. We need another million or two for an all weather surface. I will buy a couple extra lottery tickets this week. ;)

A quick and cheap solution might be too plant a bunch of water loving trees around the perimeter of the field.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Runoff from the adjacent parking lot could be the source of the problem.

Macomb did get a lot of rain late last week.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu712 wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:53 pm Runoff from the adjacent parking lot could be the source of the problem.

Macomb did get a lot of rain late last week.
Yup, at least 2 inches according to one weather station, but it has been a day or so since then (I think late Thursday night/Friday morning was the last rain we had), so you'd think it'd be mostly dried out by gametime.
You're probably right on the parking lot issue. It looks like it's right up against the fence and it's about 60 feet from the fence to the edge of the sideline. I agree that a few trees or maybe a line of bushes just inside the fence would probably help. There might be some room on the outside of the fence along the south section, but otherwise it goes from parking lot right to fence with really no room for planting anything.

If we were somehow able to come up with a giant pile of money, I'd love to see a whole track & field & soccer complex...artificial soccer turf (or really well-designed well-drained grass field) surrounded by a running track, with a small pressbox and seating for maybe 1k-2k people. Then get rid of the track at the football stadium and build that closer in. But that's really just a pipe dream at this point.
wiu712

UW-Milwaukee won Sunday's game 4-0.

Attendance at Northwest Practice Field = 88.

Western will host UW-Green Bay on Friday at 3PM.
wiu712

UW-Green Bay won Friday's game 2-0.

Attendance at the Northwest Practice Field = 83.

Men's Soccer will have a home match on Sunday at 1PM vs Bowling Green.
wiu712

Bowling Green won Sunday's game 3-2.

Attendance at MacKenzie Field = 85.

Next game will be a home match vs Dayton on Saturday at 1PM.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Tomorrow's home soccer match against Dayton (and today's women's soccer match against Milwaukee) have been moved to TBK Bank Sports Complex in Bettendorf, IA (they have an indoor soccer field).

sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:37 pm Tomorrow's home soccer match against Dayton (and today's women's soccer match against Milwaukee) have been moved to TBK Bank Sports Complex in Bettendorf, IA (they have an indoor soccer field).

That complex is pretty nifty. Do you get a penalty for putting a ball off the ceiling or do you play it as is? Your suggestion above for a combined soccer and track facility is really what we need. The cost for such a thing I think would be in the neighborhood of $5-7M. Not a lot of money today. Forget about a lot of adjacent parking - not worth the trouble finding a place for the water to drain. Instead, I would go with a nice pedestrian bridge from Qlot over University Drive. Something like the UMW bridge just down the road from me would be an eye-grabber for people coming onto campus. Add another 1M. Its just money, you cant take it with you. ;)

Embrace the pace of the race.