5 rugby team members arrested for hazing incident.

wiu712

From WGEM-TV News:

By Jennifer Tapley

Police say five Western Illinois University students are charged with hazing after one victim was put in intensive care.

Macomb police say on May 2, new rugby team members were forced to drink large amounts of alcohol in a very short time. Officers responded to 301 N. Johnson St. and found an unconscious male. His blood alcohol level was dangerously high, and his condition was life-threatening.

The victim was taken to McDonough District Hospital where he was admitted into the intensive care unit.

Police are looking for two more team members, but say they think those students went home after the semester ended.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I remember something very similar happening with our club lacrosse team maybe about 20 years ago. After that we didn't have a lacrosse team for quite a while.

EDIT - apparently 24 years ago...
College Still Stunned By Hazing Death (Chicago Tribune)

Thankfully this rugby player survived, but there could be some serious penalties for our rugby team.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
BobLovely

Senseless! I have never understood the need to engage in extreme drinking binges - for any reason...

Bob
Last edited by BobLovely on Sun May 11, 2014 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
wiu712

Update to the story was on Friday night's WGEM-TV News:
http://www.wgem.com/story/25469170/2014 ... g-incident
sealhall74

I hope today's commencement speaker(s) can get in a few very well-chosen words about this incident.
Embrace the pace of the race.