WIU dropping Men's Tennis

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

More info from the Courier: http://westerncourier.com/34223/news/we ... ns-tennis/

A couple of points from the article:
Osterman said that the men’s tennis program is not being cut for its performance. He also said that he doesn’t anticipate any further eliminations in regards to athletic programs.
According to Osterman, the students on the men’s tennis team will continue to receive scholarship funds throughout their academic career at Western if they choose to stay. He said that per NCAA rules, Western offers 3 full-ride scholarships divided amongst eight players for men’s tennis.
It also says that they'll assist any students on the team in moving to another school that does offer tennis if they choose to continue to play.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Tere North

Can't really believe cutting the men's program helps the bottom line much. Given they are keeping the women's tennis program, this really feels more like an effort to more closer to gender equity. Look at most schools, those that offer football offer more sports for women than men because of the huge numbers and $ put toward football. You could see the same time of things for some other sports options.
sealhall74

Smart AD might funnel the savings here into another program to save a certain coach who might be leaving by offering salary upgrade and/or another coach (DC) on his staff. You do the best you can with what you have. Tennis was not taking us anywhere.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Neckfansince71

It also answers the question, "hey we have to down size some, what can the athletic department throw into the pot?" How many scholies does women's tennis get? They seem up and coming, maybe they could use some help. ;) jc
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote:Smart AD might funnel the savings here into another program to save a certain coach who might be leaving by offering salary upgrade and/or another coach (DC) on his staff.
I would think that this would be a difficult time to be bumping-up someone's salary while the university is going into layoff status.

Today's paper mentioned that there could be Furlough Days and/or salary reductions in addition to the layoffs.
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote:
sealhall74 wrote:Smart AD might funnel the savings here into another program to save a certain coach who might be leaving by offering salary upgrade and/or another coach (DC) on his staff.
I would think that this would be a difficult time to be bumping-up someone's salary while the university is going into layoff status.

Today's paper mentioned that there could be Furlough Days and/or salary reductions in addition to the layoffs.
You might be right. But if you are, then StudentPres needs to pull back that soundbite I always here from him about "winning championships".
Embrace the pace of the race.
meganeck

Tere North wrote:Can't really believe cutting the men's program helps the bottom line much. Given they are keeping the women's tennis program, this really feels more like an effort to more closer to gender equity. Look at most schools, those that offer football offer more sports for women than men because of the huge numbers and $ put toward football. You could see the same time of things for some other sports options.
Tere, you are probably right about the gender equity thing, but obviously money will be saved also. I thought why not drop women's tennis also, but that is probably right about gender equity. Also they mentioned about having to go to Galesburg to play indoors, so that is another expense they would have.
Tere North

meganeck wrote:
Tere North wrote:Can't really believe cutting the men's program helps the bottom line much. Given they are keeping the women's tennis program, this really feels more like an effort to more closer to gender equity. Look at most schools, those that offer football offer more sports for women than men because of the huge numbers and $ put toward football. You could see the same time of things for some other sports options.
Tere, you are probably right about the gender equity thing, but obviously money will be saved also. I thought why not drop women's tennis also, but that is probably right about gender equity. Also they mentioned about having to go to Galesburg to play indoors, so that is another expense they would have.

I suspect that as contracts run out, you might see and end to Swimming & Diving, Cross Country, and/or Track & Field. Both Swimming & Diving and Track & Field have large teams to pay for travel, but with few actual scholarships, plus neither has top notch facilities.

I see Baseball staying because of the Boyer Stadium, and for gender equity, Softball and McKee Stadium as well. I also see golf staying with the Gleacher back 9 expansion. No way do I see us turning our noses up to that kind of donor funding.

To remain D1, we have to have 14 sports (7M & 7W or 6M & 8W). At the D2 or D3 level the minimum is 5 & 5.
wiu712

I heard that axing Men's Tennis was a sacrificial statement by Western Athletics so they at least cut "something".

Tennis reportedly costs less than $250k/year to run.
leatherface

Yes, let us never forget about gender equity.