2016 Baseball Opening Day

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Season starts with a series down at Tennessee Tech (Cookeville, TN) today and tomorrow.
Due to weather, the game times have been changed. One game today at 3 PM and double-header tomorrow, time TBD.

Stats will be available here: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=119818
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ibleedpurpleandgold

To bad these aren't home games but you can't predict the weather when doing the schedule.
wiu712

First home game will be March 18 vs North Dakota State.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

ibleedpurpleandgold wrote:To bad these aren't home games but you can't predict the weather when doing the schedule.
Right...it's unseasonably warm for us right now (mid-60s today)...so it's beautiful out. However, it's really windy and all the snow has just melted, so any ground is a soggy marsh.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

You can also...well...kinda watch the game on periscope here: https://www.periscope.tv/w/1jMJgWZOezjJL
Quality isn't great, it's essentially just a static camera that someone set up pointed at the field, but you can kinda tell what's going on and you can hear the announcer if you turn it up a bit. Got it going on my second monitor....60 degrees out, baseball on the "TV"...sure feels like spring to me.

Currently TTU guys on 1st and 2nd, 1 out, bottom of the 1st, no score.

EDIT - the video is down now. TTU ended up loading the bases and getting a grand slam. Now top of the 2nd, WIU men on 3rd and 1st, 1 out, TTU up 4-0.
ibleedpurpleandgold

3 combined Hr's and just going to the bottom of the 3rd wind must be blowing out today.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

ibleedpurpleandgold wrote:3 combined Hr's and just going to the bottom of the 3rd wind must be blowing out today.
I think it is. They were mentioning that it's pretty windy there. Looks like about 15-20 mph winds from the south/southwest. The stadium sits so that wind directly south to north would be going pretty much straight out right field (that's where our second guy hit his HR I know). Balls hit in left field would be pulled out to center field, but if you're hitting towards right field, it's a batter's day.
wiu712

Tennessee Tech scored two runs on a walk-off single with two outs in the bottom of the 9th to win the game 13-12.

Western had scored six runs in the top of the 8th to take a 12-8 lead. Tenn Tech came back with 3 runs in the bottom of the 8th to make the score 12-11 going into the 9th.

It was 68, sunny, but windy.

Attendance at Tennessee Tech was 254.

The Saturday double-header will begin at 1PM.
wiu712

Tennessee Tech won game 1 of Saturday's double-header 6-3.

Tennessee Tech won game 2 of Saturday's double-header 6-5.

Tennessee Tech pitchers combined to strike out 25 batters in the two games.

Attendance at Tennessee Tech was 240.

Western baseball will be in Carbondale next weekend for a three-game series with SIUC.
meganeck

I don't know if it was mentioned somewhere at one time, but I see Steve McShane, a RB on the football team, is on the baseball roster. Not sure how much he will play this year, but I just thought I would mention it.