Softball - 17/18 Season

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Anyone know what's up with this:

[tweet][/tweet]

Is Van Vlymen leaving or did she get let go? Or is there something else going on?
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Neckfansince71

Yes, Holly is going to take over Lisa Melz-Jennings job as the Assistant Athletic Director - Academics and Student-Athlete Development. Melz-Jennings is now the universitie's Academic Success Coach working directly with students to increase retention. I can't speak personally for Holly, but working as a Division 1 head coach is a daunting task from start to finish and I think there is a point where you have got to make a choice between coaching and family. I had to make the same decision back in 1997 when I decided to stop coaching other peoples kids in order to spend time with my own. I will never be sorry I coached which was my childhood dream, and will never be sorry about walking away. They have some really nice players and a young pitcher who is quite good along with the Summit Pitcher of the Year. This could not have been an easy decision, but the VanV's have twin boys who have just started grade school. A great opportunity for Holly, and it will be just as great an opportunity for the new head coach. ;) jc
meganeck

Anybody have any idea on where the search for a new softball coach stands, have they started interviews yet, etc?
Neckfansince71

Athletic department is currently involved in 3 interview processes including softball, T&F, and Asst. AD for media services. Each one is moving forward as expected. Great candidates for all 3. ;) jc
meganeck

thanks for the update
Neckfansince71

So Beth Golitko will serve as the interim Head Coach for this coming season. I think this is a good move based on not only the time limitations with the season approaching, but also the fact that I think Beth is ready and up for the challenge! Good luck Beth!!!! ;) jc
meganeck

Nothing against Beth and obviously I hope she does well, but I just wonder if this isn't just leading to her being the permanent coach. With money being tight I assume they can get her cheaper than bringing in somebody from the outside.
Neckfansince71

(In my opinion only) money was not an issue. Timing and a viable in house candidate had everything to do with it. In the long run, its not how you got the job, but what you do with it once you get it. Anxious to see what Beth can do! Its a big step from Assistant to "Big Boss Lady!" ;) jc
Tere North

Neckfansince71 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:20 am (In my opinion only) money was not an issue. Timing and a viable in house candidate had everything to do with it. In the long run, its not how you got the job, but what you do with it once you get it. Anxious to see what Beth can do! Its a big step from Assistant to "Big Boss Lady!" ;) jc
I imagine it was like when Taney was named Interim AD. If she does a good job, I imagine the Interim part of the title will disappear.