Tennis Program Turnaround?

wiu712

Only 6 players on the team this year: One senior and five freshmen.
Western_101

If we are not going to give these young women a fighting chance to be successful luring marginal talent to a a place that has no indoor facilities is a recipe for loosing seasons. If I were AD I would terminate the women's tennis. I mean come on why did we cancel the guys?

Because they sucked.

Why didn't we cancel the WOMEN title IX at your door step my friends. It is insulting (my wife is a professor and makes more than me) that we have to make sure that we can give away the most women's scholarships to hemorrhage money. Sorry nobody cares about tennis anymore, it is not 1965.

Yeah, but it has to be even, right? Title IX has been so maneuvered and twisted since it's inception that I find it to be a detriment to all but the wealthiest D-I Institutions.

How many women posters are on this board (of course I love Tere)...........? Exactly.
Tere North

A D1 req is 14 sports, with at least 7 being women's sports. For D2 and D3, the requirement is 10 total with at least 5 women's.

Track can acount for as many as 3 per gender - indoor, outdoor, and cross country

Which teams would you suggest for WIU?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Tere North wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:44 am A D1 req is 14 sports, with at least 7 being women's sports. For D2 and D3, the requirement is 10 total with at least 5 women's.

Track can acount for as many as 3 per gender - indoor, outdoor, and cross country

And just for reference to everyone: WIU currently sponsors 19 sports (fixed, thanks Teri). 8 are men's sports and 9 are women's sports, however, one of the men's sports is football which takes up a considerably larger portion of the scholarships and other funding $ than any of the other sports. Having volleyball and women's tennis helps make up a little bit of the difference, but it still doesn't come close.

I believe this data is from the 2018/2019 school year (not 100% certain on that). We had a total of 258 male athletes and 147 female athletes. We spend $5.731 m. on the men's sports ($3.1 m. of which is football), $3.342 m. on women's sports, and $2.796 m. that is unallocated by gender/sport, for a total athletics budget of $11.869 m.

Title IX does not require the funding, scholarships, and resources to be exactly equal between men's and women's sports, but you're required to provide equitable "treatment" and "benefits". For example, it's understood that a set of shin guards for a female soccer player will be less expensive than a full set of pads for a male football player. For comparable sports, however, they need to be of equivalent quality (like batting helmets for baseball and softball, for example).

More info: http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/inc ... ns#dollars
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Tere North

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:13 am
Tere North wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:44 am A D1 req is 14 sports, with at least 7 being women's sports. For D2 and D3, the requirement is 10 total with at least 5 women's.

And just for reference to everyone: WIU currently sponsors 17 sports. 8 are men's sports and 9 are women's sports, however, one of the men's sports is football which takes up a considerably larger portion of the scholarships and other funding $ than any of the other sports. Having volleyball and women's tennis helps make up a little bit of the difference, but it still doesn't come close.
Acutally 19, Scott. Indoor and Outdoor Track count as separate sports even though it's largely the same team.
sealhall74

It's a nobrainer with the current facilities. Get rid of tennis and replace it with rifle. It's a coed sport (kill 2 Title IX birds with one stone) and you have a legit chance at a national championship.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:22 pm
Tere North wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:41 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:13 pm Looks like the ladies are without coach now. MIRKO BJELICA seemed to have some success. His 2 daughters still listed on the roster. Not sure what his status is.
Wow, what happened!
So do we know what happened to Mirko?
Well, I've found out now what happened via twitter:
i miss WIU. i was kicked off the tennis team last year and forced to transfer schools because i asked the coach to stop saying the n word around me and my teammates because it made me uncomfortable.
he has since then been fired for the amount of attention and a facebook investigation revealed he was a racist and hater of women's rights. so be aware of those around you. they're not all friends at WIU. especially not the athletics department.
all of my teammates left in response as well! only one left and she had to stay because she was from Spain and WIU was her only shot. be careful being a student athlete there. they may act like they care about you individually but when it comes down to it, you're replaceable.
Considering that, I'm glad he's gone. I'm sure he's not the only one, but it's something.
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:34 pm
meganeck wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:22 pm
Tere North wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:41 pm

Wow, what happened!
So do we know what happened to Mirko?
Well, I've found out now what happened via twitter:
i miss WIU. i was kicked off the tennis team last year and forced to transfer schools because i asked the coach to stop saying the n word around me and my teammates because it made me uncomfortable.
he has since then been fired for the amount of attention and a facebook investigation revealed he was a racist and hater of women's rights. so be aware of those around you. they're not all friends at WIU. especially not the athletics department.
all of my teammates left in response as well! only one left and she had to stay because she was from Spain and WIU was her only shot. be careful being a student athlete there. they may act like they care about you individually but when it comes down to it, you're replaceable.
Considering that, I'm glad he's gone. I'm sure he's not the only one, but it's something.
Yeah, when about everyone including the coach suddenly disappear, you know there are lots of breadcrumbs under the rug.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

A bit of an update to what happened with the tennis coach. You can get the idea from the first part of the text...
Western Illinois University’s White, former head women’s tennis coach lacked evidence he was mistreated because of his race following an incident in which he used an anti-Black slur and after the school developed other concerns about his performance, a federal judge ruled.Mirko Bjelica can’t prove Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act was violated because he failed to identify a Black co-worker who engaged in similar misconduct and was treated more favorably, the U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois said.Bjelica was issued a letter of reprimand and ordered to undergo cultural sensitivity training after ...
But if anyone happens to have a Bloomberg law subscription, you might be able to get some more info.

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/daily-lab ... ame-as-his
wiu712

Mirko Bjelica is now the Men's and Women's Tennis coach at Evangel University in Springfield, Missouri.
https://www.evangelathletics.com/sports ... a?view=bio