Basketball Recruits List - 2015

Necks2003

Looks like a great pick up. It will be nice to have a true big man on the floor. Being that we will only have 2 scholarships available, it will be interesting to see how the next few weeks shake out with the team already having one player signed and 2 additional players committed.
WIU0812

Hopefully you guys are right and it is a great pick up of raw talent that is just emerging, I find it hard to believe that a decent DI player would have no other DI offers on the board. It does not even appear there was much interest in him by the DI market until WIU offered. I usually like to think if a player is going to be something he should at least be catching the eye of more than 1 division 1 school even if it is a small school every good player should turn a few heads his way. I am sure there are a few instances where a player had no other looks for a DI and he turned out great, but I am guessing the percentage of failure is higher.
sealhall74

WIU0812 wrote:Hopefully you guys are right and it is a great pick up of raw talent that is just emerging, I find it hard to believe that a decent DI player would have no other DI offers on the board. It does not even appear there was much interest in him by the DI market until WIU offered. I usually like to think if a player is going to be something he should at least be catching the eye of more than 1 division 1 school even if it is a small school every good player should turn a few heads his way. I am sure there are a few instances where a player had no other looks for a DI and he turned out great, but I am guessing the percentage of failure is higher.
I think the fact that he played for a small high school (400 enrollment) and always played against smaller opponents probably had something to do with it. From the video, he never had to really work to get his boards and points, his size and long arms were all he needed. Seems to have a good basketball IQ around the basket. He did play on an AAU roster which usually draws some DI attention but I could not find anything related. He will have to work very hard when he gets here. Good news is he is already about 230# so don't need to beef him up that much, just strengthen and work on agility. I see this pretty much across the WIU sports spectrum right now, that is the recruiting of mostly DII-caliber/off-the-radar talent. That is why I consider the strength and conditioning staff to be the real difference makers for us. We have good smart coaches but I am not sure they can or should devote the time in the weight room along with the athletes. Tommy, please get more strength and conditioning people, add some grad interns, make sure every athlete has a program that is tailored specifically for him/her and monitor progress.
Embrace the pace of the race.
letsgonecks

I like him. Yeah he's a man amongst boys, but he shows potential. What stood out his drop step dunking ability. Again against smaller players, but the action was quick and hard. We've had some bigs in the past that never dunked or only when all alone.

Had some touch around the rim and effective little jumper. Moved with the ball a few time and found the open guy on some clips. I know it'll take some work to be effective at the next level, but think we found a good one.
Necks2003

So we officially now have 3 signed new recruits for next season. Anybody have any idea where the extra scholarship came from being that we only had 2 seniors graduating? Maybe one of them is possibly on a academic scholarship? It looks like we may have an offer out to a JUCO transfer as well.
WIU0812

IMG_20150415_165101.jpg
IMG_20150415_165101.jpg (80 KiB) Viewed 7502 times
WIU0812

IMG_20150415_165106.jpg
IMG_20150415_165106.jpg (74.17 KiB) Viewed 7502 times
WIU0812

One of them could be walk on? This is only two I see announced on twitter thus far.
hoops3

We signed the two big men today and the point guard last fall.
WIU0812

Not exactly sure what to think about this years recruits most likely because there is no real info on the internet about them and their skills. Hopefully they were all great pickups and diamonds in the rough. Definitely needed a couple big guys and we got that which should help some, but not sure if it will be for a couple years.