2014 Basketball Recruit Discussions

letsgonecks

website showing a third commit and new name of Dalan Ancrum. Maybe that TX kids who was mentioned in an earlier post that was thought to have verballed to WIU a while back.

http://www.goleathernecks.com/ViewArtic ... M_ID=12000

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball ... rum-154207

https://louisville.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1527554

Looks to be a great pickup.
vatusay

Very exciting pick up. Looks like going to be a long athletic team. Won't have that true big but good overall length. Fingers crossed that Wright has a big on the line still.
#ALLIN #YOLO
Neckfansince71

0812, once again, great info. I found this statement on the Louisville/Rivals page!

"Leading the way for the Thunder was 6-foot-4 power forward Joseph Britton, who made jumpers, attacked off the bounce and thrilled the crowd with flashy open court dribbling in transition. Shooting guard Joseph Mitchell looked like a Division I player while knocking home deep jumpers. The most intriguing player of the bunch, though, was small forward Dalan Ancrum. Long, athletic and tough minded, Ancrum showed a versatile game. He looked good hitting a 3-pointer, he was strong on the glass, and he played good defense around the rim."

As far as I am concerned, another 6'7" player would fit nicely. 6'8" or 6'9" and mobile would be even better. ;)
WIU0812

Thanks I will continue to update us much as I can if you can think of any other things that would be cool to have for each recruit let me know. I am a little concerned that I have been unable to find any recruiting info for large players I would think I would see half a dozen options they are considering.
loyalfan

Saw via twitter that we are one of several teams in on 6'10 Tobe Okafor....this would fill a big void in our lineup if we could get him to WIU
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

loyalfan wrote:Saw via twitter that we are one of several teams in on 6'10 Tobe Okafor....this would fill a big void in our lineup if we could get him to WIU
I wonder if he's also part of the Okefor basketball family.

The ones I'm aware of...
Emeka Okafor - won NCAA national championship in '04 at UCONN, played on the 2004 US Olympic Basketball team, has played for ten years in NBA
Emeka Okafor Jr. - played for us (Western) for a couple of years ('09-'10, '10-'11), third cousin of previously listed Emeka Okafor
TJ Okafor - currently playing for Minnesota State (under Coach Margenthaler), also third cousin of previously listed Emeka Okafor and brother to previously listed Emeka Jr.
Jahlil Okafor - Senior at Whitney Young Magnet HS in Chicago, 2014 McDonald's All-American Game co-MVP, team was 2014 IHSA class 4A state champion, by many rankings, the #1 ranked recruit for 2014, has signed on to play next year at Duke, also a distant cousin to Emeka Okafor (the first one listed). Also, both his parents played college basketball.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU0812

Added him and 2 more to the 2015 recruit list. I will finish them later tonight.
meganeck

Good work WIU0812, thanks for all the work posting the info. Its amazing how much more recruiting info is out there now that Billy is in charge.
Neckfansince71

Someone told me that the Austin Texas kid committed last fall. I remember someone like OldFan saying that it had appeared on the website, but I just looked back and its not there. For the life of me I can't figure out everything was such a secret? All the twitter info and webpage descriptions makes me feel like the "wheels" are once again turning in a very positive direction. ;)
loyalfan

Yes..the Texas kid did appear last fall on the athletics page but it was removed as fast as it appeared and I never could remember his name to find something on the web...I thought I was dreaming it maybe BUT thankfully I was not and it looks like we got a good one!!