2014 Basketball Recruit Discussions

WIU0812

We have picked up two more guys today: Tyson Reynolds and Jamie Batish. I will post rest of info tomorrow.
loyalfan

I really believe that this is EXACTLY the kinda recruiting class we needed....so excited....the only one thing that could bite us, is if Jabari gets hurt....Hopefully Remy will get healthy and J.C. Fuller can handle the ball as well...I think we went out and got some size that we needed and some shooters....I just hope we have enough ball handlers in case of injury...
WIU0812

I am actually a little disappointed with this class now. The only good thing is that there will be a lot of new bodies for more reps, but I am not a fan of a team being half full of Community College transfers. I think you see the most success, except for the occasional great find from a CC, from the players who come in as freshman and are able to fully train for four years under one coach. I do not think you want half of your team only playing for 2 years, it takes some people 2 years just to get a program down and learn all the details and how to use the type of play effectively. Will definitely be interesting and the last two players I have had a great deal of trouble finding any good info on which also makes it concerning that they were not recruited by anyone else. I do believe in Billy, but he was pushed against a wall taking over a program this late, hope he was not just filling spots.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
vatusay

Terrell parks was barely recruited by anyone else also....just sayin...last years class was very high school heavy, and it showed. The Tate who only a sophomore. I think it's a great mix. Plus billy has already offered a few high school players for the 2015 class. If you don't believe in transfer heavy rosters check out Iowa state....
#ALLIN #YOLO
B-Ball Fan

I think with Billy's late start he did very well with the recruits he has signed. Still has the 1 scholly available so maybe we get the Graduate with 1 year left. Maybe a Big Man !. That would be sweet !
meganeck

I thought maybe we would get that 5th yr transfer or just a D1 transfer... all in all seems like a decent class.This late probably hard to get high school kids unless you want to take kids who probably doesn't belong at this level.
wiu712

The addition of the 2 new Men's BB players was a story on the WGEM-TV Sports:
http://www.wgem.com/story/25595320/2014 ... ses-to-six
sealhall74

Was watching VA/AR baseball game on ESPN yesterday. They mentioned the VA coach likes to go out and grab his JUCOs after their freshman year so he can get 3 years out of them. I love that recruiting strategy - "the early bird gets the worm".
Embrace the pace of the race.
WIU0812

It is also a way to grab them early before they get a bunch of new offers. I am sure it can be hard to judge by one year, but a mid major school would definite benefit by finding some first year CC players and pulling them away early before and majors find them.