Football Recruits - 2016

meganeck

letsgonecks wrote:In a previous interview Landon mentioned he was verbally committed to SIU but open to larger schools and Western. If that's still the case we could land him with an offer.
Coaching change at SIU, might have him looking around
letsgonecks

Coaching change or not, he won't be going anywhere else without an offer. Believe his only other offer was a DII school. I'm sure he'll pick up a few more done the stretch, so this could change and the coaching switch could have an affect.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

letsgonecks wrote:Coaching change or not, he won't be going anywhere else without an offer. Believe his only other offer was a DII school. I'm sure he'll pick up a few more done the stretch, so this could change and the coaching switch could have an affect.
With his brother on the team, I'm sure our coaching staff is aware of his situation and I trust that if they feel that it's worth it for them to extend him an offer, they'll do so. I think that having mini-dynasties are kinda cool, especially if they're all pretty good (next year will be the first year since '08 without a Holtschlag brother on the team), but if we already have a good group of receivers in or around that age and he's not quite on the level as his brother, then it might not be worth it.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote:Coaching change at SIU, might have him looking around
Coaching change here...will be interesting to see who sticks with the program, who follows Nielson (and likely at least a few assistants) to USD, and who chooses to go elsewhere.

I was going to update with a new recruit, but maybe I'll just wait until we decide on our next HC and give him and his coaching staff a bit of time to make some recruiting visits.
Neckfansince71

From the looks of things, some of them have already been making visits for Wiu! ;) jc
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Adding another recruit to the spreadsheet:
O-Line/Center Sam Reutz
6'4", 265lbs
Franklin HS - Franklin, Wisconsin

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/ ... utz-183956

Something of note...Franklin, WI is also where Sean McGuire is from. I believe Sam would have been a sophomore in HS during McGuire's HS Senior year.

He was a finalist for the Wisconsin HS top O-Lineman award.
His description from that:
Ruetz spent part of the 2014 season as a tight end/h-back, which tells you about the athletic ability he has. Later moved to offensive line, he has played center as part of a group that includes four players that have/had D1 offers. As you can imagine, he does a very nice job getting out in space on screens, but is big and strong enough to simply maul defenders in one-on-one blocking. He'll be in line for big-time postseason honors as they are announced over the next few weeks.
[tweet]673688483408584704[/tweet]
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Welcome to JUCO signing day....I guess. We have until January 15th to get any transfers signed up if they want to come and be able to attend Spring practices.

I doubt we'll see much, if any, action until we get a new HC hired though...unless we have some recruits who just REALLY like Western and don't care about who the coaches are.
yokedneck

ST_Lawson wrote:Welcome to JUCO signing day....I guess.

Played with my son at Highland JuCo. Enjoyed his visit, and he was excited to verbal to WIU. Not sure if he intended to be a mid year sign or if he needs to finish spring academics.

Tom
[thinkpurple]Leatherneck Football[/thinkpurple]
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Here's the tweet embedded:
[tweet]675734672551358464[/tweet]

Derek Gibson
6'4" 310lb
O-Lineman from Highland, KS
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Well, I knew it was likely coming. Looks like William Bradley-King has de-committed (as of last Saturday).
He's got offers now from SDSU, NDSU, UNI, and a few others.
[tweet]678399087318712321[/tweet]