NATIONAL SIGNING DAY 2015

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

New signees added to Spring 2015 Player breakdown:
Still, doesn't include any possible spring transfers from other schools/CCs.

In our new class, we have:
QB - 2
RB - 2
WR - 2
TE - 2
OL - 2
DL - 3
DE - 0
LB - 4
DB - 4
P/Ath - 1 (I listed him as just a punter in the chart, but he obviously can play QB and possibly other positions as needed)
LS - 1

Offense - 10
Defense - 11
SP Teams - 2
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Here's a CC guy:

Also happens to (at this point) be our only Junior on the defense. I put him on the map for Glendale (AZ) CC, although he originally came from Lincoln-Way East, so he's a Chicago-area guy.
WIU0812

Just went through the new recruits info sheets and man this appears to be a great recruiting class. There is some definite hidden treasures that we picked up. Hopefully this year will show some great improvement by adding last years great class.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU0812 wrote:Just went through the new recruits info sheets and man this appears to be a great recruiting class. There is some definite hidden treasures that we picked up. Hopefully this year will show some great improvement by adding last years great class.
I agree with you on that. I haven't gone back and checked previous years, but this seems like a pretty large recruiting class. Another thing is that at this point, there's only one CC transfer (Justin Corbett), so nearly all of the players announced could be with the program for the full 5 years (if redshirted and then they remain on the team for 4 active years). I know we've had success with transfers in the past...recently Hi-C Scott and JC Baker, just as a couple of examples...but I think overall, it's better to have the quality kids with the program for as long as possible.

I don't know if they usually hold off and wait to mention any FBS->FCS transfers until a little later, but the ones that can should already be enrolled. I know that Trev Hadachek (the WR transfer from Iowa) is listed in the campus directory already. The WIU NSD site also says that Noah Shanklin (QB from Savannah, GA by way of IMG Academy) has already enrolled and is taking classes (wonder how he's liking this weather).
WIU0812

I think its about average for a recruiting class, didn't we have over 30 last year. I know Coach N acted like having 90 + players was what he wanted in order to create competition and have plenty of depth at all positions. Looks like 3 were walk-ons which is great for the team and every now and then produces a surprise player.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

letsgonecks

This an update on the late signing post in the football section.

In case anyone wanted to check out the video for Brandon Gaston. I know it's against high school competition, but he looks pretty legit. Wonder why other teams passed. By the way his brother Bruce spent the last month of the season on the Packers active roster (DT).

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2202435/hig ... 2371384/v2
letsgonecks

Here's the video for Nathan Oquendo. Was the starting Center for Iowa Central CC last year and had some FBS interest out of high school. Will come in as a Sophomore.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/415419/high ... 7543389/v2
WIU0812

Brandon looks like he has potential to be another Lance Lenoir and a huge playmaker, some of those catches are very impressive and he had a lot of poorly thrown balls that he made into something and saved from an interception.