Football Recruits - 2017

leatherneckcountry

sealhall74 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:14 pm Different sport but the QC area also being overlooked in basketball IMO. Ethan Happ only got offers from Wisconsin schools (Wisconsin, UW-Milwaukee and Green Bay). What were the Illinois schools thinking?
Ethan also committed very early and was convinced when he visited there campus was that was where he wanted to go he also visited Iowa but not sure if they offered him.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Can't remember if he's been mentioned before, but just noticed that we made an offer to:
Austin Glazier, 6'6", 285lb O-lineman from Fenwick HS in Oak Park, IL
Also has an offer from Southern Illinois.
http://www.hudl.com/profile/4085983/austin-glazier
[tweet]832373785852514304[/tweet]
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
loyalfan

Im not really sure where to post this and I wish I could upload the picture too, BUT anyway, I was driving into town the other day (Hillsville, Va) and out of the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of a beautiful Purple and Gold Leatherneck flag lol...I had to do a double take and go back and take a picture...I was thinking I was the only person around these hills that knew where WIU was, let alone had gone to school there myself....So today I stopped by a store close by there and asked about the flag...ends up that it is Lucas Holder's parents!!...So believe me...looks like you are gonna have several fans from this little mountain town next year...still cant believe I saw that flag lol!!!
huskie

loyalfan wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:33 pm Im not really sure where to post this and I wish I could upload the picture too, BUT anyway, I was driving into town the other day (Hillsville, Va) and out of the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of a beautiful Purple and Gold Leatherneck flag lol...I had to do a double take and go back and take a picture...I was thinking I was the only person around these hills that knew where WIU was, let alone had gone to school there myself....So today I stopped by a store close by there and asked about the flag...ends up that it is Lucas Holder's parents!!...So believe me...looks like you are gonna have several fans from this little mountain town next year...still cant believe I saw that flag lol!!!
That's good stuff. Welcome to the Leatherneck family Holder's!
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Awesome.

I always do my best to wear Leatherneck gear when I'm away on vacation and stuff. I ran into an older couple from Peoria who's daughter went to Western...at North Padre Island, TX; a family from Chicago where the parents met at Western (so...both were alums)...at a restaurant in Savannah, GA; and Leatherneck HOF member Mike Pendergast at a bar/restaurant in Tybee Island, GA. You never know who you're going to run into, but there's Leatherneck alumni and fans everywhere.

Glad to have a few more wearing the purple and gold down in Virginia (other than the JMU fans ;) )
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Picked up another player in football.

Lavall McNulty Jr.
6'4" 230lb LB from Crete-Monee HS (Crete, IL) by way of Saint Joseph's College (a DII GLVC school in Rensselaer, IN). Saint Joesph's is closing following this spring semester. Usually players aren't allowed to make an "upwards" move without sitting out a year (outside of the grad transfer rule), however I would assume that the athletes at SJC have probably been given some type of exemption to that rule due to extenuating circumstances. I don't quite know what that means for his eligibility...it looks like he did play his true freshman year, so idk if he sits a year for us as a redshirt, or what.

Apparently we recruited him some when Coach Fisher first came in, but he was a bit undersized. He's bulked up somewhat and grown about an inch and apparently looks good enough to give him a shot now.

Anyway, here's his hudl page from HS: http://www.hudl.com/profile/4041177/lavall-mcnulty
And some highlights from college: http://www.hudl.com/profile/4041177/lavall-mcnulty

[tweet][/tweet]
BobLovely

If a school closes operation or drops a sport, players can transfer without sitting out a year. A good pick up!

Bob
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

BobLovely wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:40 pm If a school closes operation or drops a sport, players can transfer without sitting out a year. A good pick up!

Bob
Right, although since he played his true freshman year, he hasn't used a redshirt year. The coaching staff might want him to redshirt 2017 so that he can learn the system, beef up some, get used to things here...and then be ready to play in 2018 with 3 years of eligibility left. Unless we really need another LB able to play, which I don't think we do barring injuries, that would probably be the smart thing to do.
Lynx

Why would a defensive player commit to WIU before we have a defensive coordinator? Are we running a 4, 3 or a 3, 4 defense?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Lynx wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:41 am Why would a defensive player commit to WIU before we have a defensive coordinator? Are we running a 4, 3 or a 3, 4 defense?
Relationship with the other coaches/Coach Fisher....the school itself...there's other reasons a player could chose outside of just the DC. I feel like it won't be long until our new coaches are announced either. I think someone said that one of them was even at the Coach Fisher show yesterday and talked to a few people.