Football Recruits - 2017

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I'd imagine this is probably why Brian McLaughlin from HERO Sports stopped by.
Nice article about our recruiting efforts targeting kids for 2017: http://herosports.com/news/ncaa-fcs-men ... ning-today
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
rocki

Thanks, Scott. I looked for it this morning but got a page that showed NDSU, USD, SDSU, ISUr, and Youngstown. Don't know if I looked before it updated or what. Appreciate the heads up that Western's article is up now.
BrianMacHEROSPORTS

Haha Scott, you read me well on that one.

Overall, to all of you, we want to connect to your community and Scott, I'd love to talk about a partnership where we (at HERO Sports) declare your page as THE page of WIU football (which everybody here already knows) and sort of trumpet that to the FCS world and beyond.

We're talking to fan page managers all over the FCS right trying to figure out exactly how that confederation could be set up and how we would all benefit from being connected.

HERO Sports is an amazing entity. I'm having more fun doing the FCS 'thang than I ever had before -- and that includes at The Sporting News, which was a wonderful stop. The thing that's great is how awesome this level of football is, how many NFL players come from it, how many FBS schools lose to it, and yet how unbelievably approachable and humble everybody is. When I hear a kid talk about "academics" I don't gag anymore. It's true. But it's not like these programs are playing in front of 319 moms and dads either, and you all in the Missouri Valley know that. It is a RABID following.

So to kick off our annual FCS cycle of coverage, we're just doing some kickoff recruiting pieces to see who the next all-americans at the FCS might be. You know, the next kid who throws for 300 yards and beats Iowa, or Kansas, or Ole Miss or Michigan. These recruits are treated JUST like FCS programs are treated ... they're overlooked, and they're hungry. The management with HERO Sports thinks this is something they want to make a priority. I think they are very forward thinking and have a point ... and I'm lucky enough to get to go chase it.

If any of the links above don't work....you can read my story (from today) below:
http://herosports.com/news/ncaa-fcs-men ... ning-today

PS -- Loved the WIU targets I talked to. DE Israel Pitchford really enjoyed his trip to Macomb today and has hit me up several times this evening. He connected well with Johnsburg guys (like Joe Moore and Alex Peete, mentioned in my story). Fabian Kratz has a lot of options. I'm not sure he ends up at WIU, but I would almost put money on QB Haden Abernathy truly connecting with the staff next weekend when he's in town. Watch and see if Haden gets an offer and if he accepts. He really, really struck as me as a kid who likes WIU, even though he's a Tennessee kid. He's 6-foot-4. Trust me, I watched Trenton Norvell in high school in Daytona Beach, Florida ... I think your program has a knack for attracting high end QBs. I think Haden is one of them. Call it a hunch, but I think he may be your next big one.
Hi, I'm Brian McLaughlin, the FCS senior writer for HERO Sports.
Connect with me on Twitter @BrianMacWriter
rocki

BrianMac. Thanks for the cool write-up.

I think I can speak for the board when I say we are all really looking forward to this next football season. There seems to be an energy and positive attitude that has been missing (or at the very least, weak) the last couple of years. Appears that Leatherneck football is alive and well, and we couldn't be happier about it.

Drop by anytime!
ibleedpurpleandgold

Offered this kid.
BrianMacHEROSPORTS

Rocki,

I was talking to some Richmond recruits recently and they had a connection with Fisher. I even talked to a QB named Breneman whose brother Adam was recruited by Fisher when he was still at Penn State. That was the Christian Hackeburg class.

Grant Breneman told me he thought wherever Fisher went, the place was going explode in a positive way. Just said it was that kind of vibe. Kind of falls in line with what you're thinking. It is certainly the feeling the recruits seem to have.
Hi, I'm Brian McLaughlin, the FCS senior writer for HERO Sports.
Connect with me on Twitter @BrianMacWriter
ibleedpurpleandgold

It's just great to have a coach who has reached out to the Alumni and not just the recent Alumni but Guys from the far past I think eventually will get back to getting 10,000 fans @ the games hopefully he's as great @ recognizing and recruiting talent.
ibleedpurpleandgold

https://twitter.com/AbernathyHaden
Looks like he visited yesterday.
Western_101

Thanks for stopping by Brian from HERO Sports. Love your enthusiasm.