Khalen Saunders

Leathernecks playing at the next level.
meganeck

ST_Lawson wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:14 pm
meganeck wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:58 am
ST_Lawson wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:31 am

I don't really know any specifics, but from everything I heard, he was not so great at the "student" part of the term student-athlete. Was on the verge of getting kicked out of school, so he decided to forgo his senior season and go straight to the NFL. It was kinda a situation where Western didn't want him here anymore and he didn't really want to be here anymore.
Now, obviously everything worked out just fine for him, successful football career and now a broadcast/football commentary career, and it's been over 25 years since he was here (and just about anyone who was involved with the program or school back then are gone), but I never got the impression that he wanted any association between himself and Western before.

If his "introduction" was how he wanted it to be said, then maybe things are getting better...idk.
Didn't Rodney play on the basketball team for a little bit?
That I do not know. He's not listed in the basketball record books, but they only list letter winners,so it's not everyone who ever played on the team. He was just slightly before my time at Western.
He probably wouldn't be listed, he came out after football season ended, then he quit before basketball season ended. I thought their was some friction there with him playing basketball, thinking football wasn't too thrilled about him doing it, but I might be wrong about that.
Western_101

Correct me if I'm wrong (which I never am) but didn't Western at one point 10-15 years ago have the most players on NFL rosters out of all of the FCS?

I graduated in '97 and I recall a few, maybe more, years later, noticing that Western Had like 10-13 players on NFL rosters. This was before the Dakotas. This was Western's "Heyday".

I remember being in college back in the day and marveling about what a great football program Western had, and that prior to my time in Macomb I had zero knowledge of the program. :D
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong (which I never am) but didn't Western at one point 10-15 years ago have the most players on NFL rosters out of all of the FCS?

I graduated in '97 and I recall a few, maybe more, years later, noticing that Western Had like 10-13 players on NFL rosters. This was before the Dakotas. This was Western's "Heyday".

I remember being in college back in the day and marveling about what a great football program Western had, and that prior to my time in Macomb I had zero knowledge of the program. :D
Back in '02, I counted 11 on rosters (including practice squads) at one point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
GV Dad

Khalen is already on record saying he wants to do everything he can to promote Western Illinois Football. And he's going to be very popular in KC, and even to some extent, StL. This is going to be very good for WIU Football. Recruiting in the KC area will definitely pick up. The 2020 class is a little down, but the 2021 class is talent rich. Also, hoping this is good for Coach Haneline, as he had Khalen and also 2 DLs from Miss St he worked closely with. Selfishly, I'm hoping it's good for him in 4 years! ;)
letsgonecks

RedNeck wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:58 pm Correct me if I'm wrong (which I never am) but didn't Western at one point 10-15 years ago have the most players on NFL rosters out of all of the FCS?

Early 2000's, we were near the top along with UNI.
Last edited by letsgonecks on Wed May 01, 2019 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wiu712

Khalen Saunders drafted 84th over-all to the Kansas City Chiefs.
From the Western Courier:
https://westerncourier.com/44545/news/k ... ty-chiefs/
GV Dad

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Saunders has his contract now:
wiu712

Chiefs rookie Khalen Saunders gets boost from going against MVP Mahomes early in camp.
From the Kansas City Star:
https://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/k ... 13949.html
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Watching the Kansas City at Jacksonville game this afternoon. Not sure if we'll see much of Saunders (maybe later in the game...he's listed as the #3 Left DT currently), but still, keeping an eye out for #99.