Northern Illinois looking to leave MAC

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
meganeck

Apparently NIU made a presentation to the BIG 12 and they also could be a candidate for the American Athletic Conference if these lose members to the Big 12. This is per ESPN
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote:Apparently NIU made a presentation to the BIG 12 and they also could be a candidate for the American Athletic Conference if these lose members to the Big 12. This is per ESPN
I don't think we'll see Northern going to the Big 12...not any time real soon, although I could see the Big 12 adding some combination of Cincy, Memphis, and Houston (probably just 2 of them, or 4 if they can find another quality team to bring in). But then the AAC will be hurting for members, and I could see NIU and maybe a couple of good basketball schools being brought in (since the AAC is really more of a basketball conference, since it's the football-playing remnants of the old Big East, plus a few others)...so maybe MTSU, UAB...something like that possibly.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

NIU joined the Mid-American Conference in 1973 and left after the 1985 season.

They first became independent from 1986–92.

They joined the Big West Conference from 1993 through 1995.

They became independent again in 1996.

Then they were admitted back into the Mid-American Conference in 1997.
meganeck

ST_Lawson wrote:
meganeck wrote:Apparently NIU made a presentation to the BIG 12 and they also could be a candidate for the American Athletic Conference if these lose members to the Big 12. This is per ESPN
I don't think we'll see Northern going to the Big 12...not any time real soon, although I could see the Big 12 adding some combination of Cincy, Memphis, and Houston (probably just 2 of them, or 4 if they can find another quality team to bring in). But then the AAC will be hurting for members, and I could see NIU and maybe a couple of good basketball schools being brought in (since the AAC is really more of a basketball conference, since it's the football-playing remnants of the old Big East, plus a few others)...so maybe MTSU, UAB...something like that possibly.

I should have added they were turned down by the Big 12, but my main point was that they tried for the Big 12, which was surprsing, but sounds like their is a good chance on them going to the AAC if they do lose members
Tere North

Could this open up an opportunity for Western to move the MAC?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Tere North wrote:Could this open up an opportunity for Western to move the MAC?
Nope.

At this point, NDSU, SDSU, UNI, Illinois State, and SIU are all in a position to be more likely to move to the MAC.
NDSU and SDSU both have really good facilities and success in football, as well as decent success in basketball (especially SDSU).
UNI, ISU, and SIU all have pretty good facilities and play in the MVC for basketball and stuff. UNI has obviously had the most success, but ISU has done ok at times, and honestly the basketball isn't any better in the MAC than it is in the MVC.

I think the order of teams that the MAC would be looking at would be something like this:
1. UNI
2. NDSU (a close second, but UNI gets the nod for being much closer to the conference footprint)
3. Illinois State
4. SDSU
5. SIU
6. Maybe Youngstown State (some of the Ohio schools don't want another Ohio school, but they've got decent facilities, halfway decent on the financial investment in sports, and are right in the middle of the conference footprint...which is a big draw for a conference like the MAC).

Western would be below all of those in terms of facilities, money spent on athletics, basketball success. The only thing we have going right now is the football team, which is awesome, but a few years of football success does not get us an invite to a conference like the MAC.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Western_101

Swapping out a Northern Iowa for a Northern Illinois by far is the most logical.

UNI has a much better Basketball program than NIU. UNI is a perennial top 10 FCS team NIU is a perennial top 10 G5. UNI would need to find a way to increase their budget by 2 or 3 million and find a way to fund another 22 scholarships and sometime of equivalent for woman's sports.

So UNI is the logical choice but SDSU has more money, great basketball, and nice 20,000 seat football stadium among other things. Dykhouse Stadium's capacity could get bumped up by finishing the Southwest corner to make a true horseshoe and maybe later putting a second deck on the East side.

NDSU is really far outside the footprint of a G5 conference that does not have infinite resources for travel. If NDSU moves it would be more likely to join MWC (actually NDSU has a better resume than NIU for BigXII).
leatherneckcountry

It wouldn't make much sense for UNI there a basketball school and the MVC is by far a better conference.
NIU#1FBinIL

ST_Lawson wrote:
Tere North wrote:Could this open up an opportunity for Western to move the MAC?
I think the order of teams that the MAC would be looking at would be something like this:
1. UNI
2. NDSU (a close second, but UNI gets the nod for being much closer to the conference footprint)
3. Illinois State
4. SDSU
5. SIU
6. Maybe Youngstown State (some of the Ohio schools don't want another Ohio school, but they've got decent facilities, halfway decent on the financial investment in sports, and are right in the middle of the conference footprint...which is a big draw for a conference like the MAC).
Nope.

The MAC seems to have its sights on expanding East but if it were to dip into the MVFC to replace a departing NIU, the list would probably be as follows:

1. SIU (clearly the Top choice from IL)
2. Missouri State
3. UNI
4. NDSU (just too far but does have name recognition and top football program)

Nobody else.

Another team from the state of Ohio would be a non-starter. SDSU is too far with not enough name recognition.