North Dakota to Join Summit

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
vatusay

While this is good for the stability of the summit, WIU is even more of a misfit now.

As far as MVFC, the obvious move is to be in geographically split divisions. At the same token, the competition wouldn't be quite as fair.

WEST

NDSU
SDSU
UND
USD
UNI

EAST

ISUr
ISUb
YSU
MSU
SIU
WIU

I don't see any other way to split it too keep travel cost fair for all schools. Maybe swap WIU and UNI.

Again, the old gateway would sure be nice.

WIU ISUr ISUb UNI MSU SIU YSU

Offer EIU a spot and call it a day.

None of this will ever happen.
#ALLIN #YOLO
sealhall74

Biggest advantage the West has is the inherent geographical rivalries that are in place for them. Even though WIU, ISUr, and SIU are close, I dont see it translating into any fanbase excitement right now. IMO, the only way that changes is if they are all in the same conference for all sports.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

With the addition of UND, there will be 5 Summit teams in the MVFC.

This would be a good time to consider a merger of the Summit with the MVC.
vatusay

Non-football MVC members will never let that happen. The summit isn't good enough for them.
#ALLIN #YOLO
vatusay

Off the top of my head I believe those schools are Wichita state, Bradley, Evansville, Loyola? Forgive me if I'm forgetting a couple. I don't see Wichita state sticking around too long, but there have been rumors of them adding football back for quite some time now. An all sport MVC would be a very strong conference. Arguably the best after the P5.

Over on the any given Saturday boards there are questions regarding WIU and the future of the football program. Posters wondering if football is being dropped or going non-scholarship. I don't see that happening.
#ALLIN #YOLO
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

vatusay wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:36 am Off the top of my head I believe those schools are Wichita state, Bradley, Evansville, Loyola? Forgive me if I'm forgetting a couple. I don't see Wichita state sticking around too long, but there have been rumors of them adding football back for quite some time now. An all sport MVC would be a very strong conference. Arguably the best after the P5.

Over on the any given Saturday boards there are questions regarding WIU and the future of the football program. Posters wondering if football is being dropped or going non-scholarship. I don't see that happening.
Geeze...did someone bring that up again? I think I've gone and shot that down at least 5 times by now. We're not dropping football...period.

If Wichita State adds football, they'd be going FBS. I don't see their fans accepting anything lower (they think way to highly of themselves already...just ask UNI or ISUr people about the WSU fans).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
vatusay

Yea it's hard to read the boards over there. WIU doesn't get much respect.
#ALLIN #YOLO
OldHare

UND in the Summit should be a positive for the travel as the schedules should be a 2 stop per week schedule. It is not exactly a bus league for either west or east. It is a stronger conference for a SOS perspective. It is a more brutal travel for some as they travel to the Dakotas in the winter. It is good that there is no basketball played outdoors. The football side of the conference will require some study as the Dakota side might be unbalanced at this time for the strength of schedule. However, this can change over time as the eastern schools can field strong teams. The bye of east and west may need some tweaking in between to balance the schedules. The basketball scheduling will be good for all teams to reduce the D2 teams played to fill the year.
meganeck

North Dakota men made the NCAA tournament and their women's team is in the WNIT.. so looks like some good competition will be added to the conference in basketball.