North Dakota to Join Summit

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
meganeck

North Dakota is in talks to join the Missouri Valley for football and Summit League for other sports
sealhall74

So, assuming no one else drops out of the Summit, that would bring us to an even ten teams. When it comes to Mens and Womens BB tournament format, would they still limit it to only top 8 teams or instead let every team in by adding a preliminary round? I hope it is the latter.
Embrace the pace of the race.
meganeck

Yes Summit would move to 10 and MVFC would be at 11
leatherface

While I have always been leery of so much Dakota presence (influence) in the Summit, I think this is a good thing. Would still like SE Missouri, SIU-e and Eastern Illinois to join one or both, but, that's likely not to happen.
NIU#1FBinIL

leatherface wrote:While I have always been leery of so much Dakota presence (influence) in the Summit, I think this is a good thing. Would still like SE Missouri, SIU-e and Eastern Illinois to join one or both, but, that's likely not to happen.
If the objective is to get the Summit to 12 members (assuming North Dakota is added as the 10th member), why not try to snag New Mexico State and maybe add SIU-e (St. Louis presence) as the 12th.

The incentive for NMST could be that if they cannot survive as an FBS Independent (likely) and have to drop down to FCS, that the football playing members of the Summit can get them into the MVFC.

I think adding New Mexico State is the best addition it could make in the current landscape.
leatherface

Western needs some "rivalry" schools to be added to the Summit. MVFC has Illinois State, and it seems we always play Eastern, so this should help in gaining interest from folks. In the Summit, there just aren't any schools where we can really have a rivalry in all sports. Someone to really rally against across the board.
sealhall74

leatherface wrote:Western needs some "rivalry" schools to be added to the Summit. MVFC has Illinois State, and it seems we always play Eastern, so this should help in gaining interest from folks. In the Summit, there just aren't any schools where we can really have a rivalry in all sports. Someone to really rally against across the board.
Add in the fact that the four Dakota schools are all biggest fishes in their rather small ponds and you have a nightmare dilemma for everyone else in the conference.
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherface

Absolutely, good point. Too much influence and resources in one small area.
meganeck

I agree, seems like all the conference cares about are the Dakota schools
wiu712

The 4 Dakota schools also benefit from Midco Sports Net.