FCS Playoffs

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

From the MVFC: NDSU, SDSU, YSU, and Illinois State sneaking in with the losses from us and UNI.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

Hate to say this but I am sort of hoping the Bison streak comes to an end before Frisco. I don't have a ticket yet (with stadium remodeling goin on, there are fewer to be had this year) and stubhub prices were around $250 last time I looked. I will not pay that much to see it.
Embrace the pace of the race.
South Side Lnecks

There are alot of teams kicking themselves today for missing out on the FCS playoffs. WIU, UNI, EIU and others. Back on October 22nd, EIU with a 5-2 record playing at home on Homecoming Day had a 21-3 lead at home against a then 1-5 Murray State team. EIU committed 6 turn overs and lost 40-38. http://eiupanthers.com/news/2016/10/22/ ... t-eiu.aspx

Eastern beat Illinois State earlier this year. The EIU Panthers like the Leathernecks of WIU finished 6-5 and out of the playoffs.

Congratulations to the North Dakota State Bison on getting the #1 seed and to the South Dakota State Jackrabbits getting the AQ (Automatic Qualifier from the MVFC). Congrats to the ISU Redbirds and Youngstown State Penguins on getting in. Good Luck to all the Valley teams in the FCS playoffs.

I do think Illinois State wins at Central Arkansas, but the party will end for ISU the following week playing at the buzz saw that is Eastern Washington.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Just FYI, for anyone who wonders why I frequently use the AGS (Any Given Saturday) poll for a lot of things, here's the AGS Poll that was voted for following yesterday's games and put out this morning approximately an hour before the seeds and playoff field were released: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthr ... ION-SUNDAY

If you take out the auto-bid teams and the teams that are not participating in the playoffs and use the ranking to determine the at-large teams that were selection...it was exactly correct.

Also, the 8 seeded teams according to the FCS playoff committee:
North Dakota State, Eastern Washington, Jacksonville State, James Madison, Sam Houston State, The Citadel, North Dakota, South Dakota State

And the top 8 teams, in order, from the AGS Poll:
North Dakota State, Eastern Washington, Jacksonville State, James Madison (those last two were tied, technically), Sam Houston State, The Citadel, South Dakota State, North Dakota

So, other than swapping SDSU and UND in the seeding, they were dead-on with what the committee picked. Not too bad.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I'm going to use this thread as the "This Week in the MVFC" thread now instead of a new one for every week.
Full bracket is available here: http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/football/fcs/

MVFC games this week are:
Illinois State at Central Arkansas @ 2 PM
Samford at Youngstown State @ 4 PM

Our other OOC opponents:
NAU and EIU finished their seasons last weekend.
Northern Illinois won at Kent State (31-21) yesterday (11/25) and have completed their regular season schedule, finishing with a 5-7 record overall and 5-3 in the conference. They apparently still have an outside shot at a lower bowl game depending on who gets invited where.
rocki

Call me bitter, but I want ISUr to lose today. Wouldn't mind seeing SDSU take the whole shebang over NDSU. (Of course, I only know MVFC teams, so there could be someone entirely different take the #1 spot).

I'd rather be watching the 'Necks, but................ ;)
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Personally, I do want all the MVFC teams to win today and get as far as they can, mostly because every time a 6-5 MVFC team makes it in and wins a game or two (if not more) it shows that the conference is strong from top to bottom and they'd be more likely to allow 6-5 teams from the conference in the future if they have a decent record and some good wins.

I do understand the sentiment where you want your conference rival to lose, and there are situations where that can be advantageous to us, but I think that situation would have been a month ago when we were playing against them at Hanson Field. We beat them, or not let SIU come back and win, then we're in the playoffs. At this point though, outside of maybe them getting a slight recruiting boost, I'm not sure that ISU losing their game helps us.

If you're curious about the odds of the various teams making it to each round (according to Massey ratings), you can check that out here: http://www.masseyratings.com/tourn.php?t=826
NDSU and Eastern Washington have the best odds to make it to the championship game, although that's not a surprise, they're seeded #1 and #2.
wiu712

Attendance at the FCS first-round games (Nov 26):

Saint Francis (PA) at Villanova = 2,059.
Lehigh at New Hampshire = 2,240.
Charleston South at Wofford = 2,605.
Illinois State at Central Arkansas = 3,165.
North Carolina A&T at Richmond = 3,281.
San Diego at Cal Poly = 3,356.
Samford at Youngstown State = 5,322.
Weber State at Tennessee-Chattanooga = 5,464.
Last edited by wiu712 on Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
rocki

ST_Lawson wrote:Personally, I do want all the MVFC teams to win today and get as far as they can, mostly because every time a 6-5 MVFC team makes it in and wins a game or two (if not more) it shows that the conference is strong from top to bottom and they'd be more likely to allow 6-5 teams from the conference in the future if they have a decent record and some good wins.

I do understand the sentiment where you want your conference rival to lose, and there are situations where that can be advantageous to us, but I think that situation would have been a month ago when we were playing against them at Hanson Field. We beat them, or not let SIU come back and win, then we're in the playoffs. At this point though, outside of maybe them getting a slight recruiting boost, I'm not sure that ISU losing their game helps us.

If you're curious about the odds of the various teams making it to each round (according to Massey ratings), you can check that out here: http://www.masseyratings.com/tourn.php?t=826
NDSU and Eastern Washington have the best odds to make it to the championship game, although that's not a surprise, they're seeded #1 and #2.
I understand that, I just really don't like ISUr. Sue me. :lol:
sealhall74

Given those atrocious attendance numbers, would not surprise me if the NCAA goes back to 16 team format. I know it was Thanksgiving weekend and no students around, but when small high school playoff games draw bigger crowds than D 1 games, you have a problem.
Embrace the pace of the race.