SIU can now sell alcohol at on-campus events

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Sounds like this would include home football games. Wonder if Western goes that direction soon too.

[tweet]807262261190467586[/tweet]
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

As noted above: Southern Illinois University approves campus alcohol sales.

From the Associated Press:

Alcohol will soon be on the menu at Southern Illinois University.

WSIL-TV reports that the school's board voted on Thursday to allow the sales of beer and wine at campus events.

The decision to join other universities around the state that already allow alcohol sales comes as colleges are trying to find ways to increase revenues to cope with dwindling state funding. Supporters of the decision say it will increase attendance at sporting events on campus.

Interim Chancellor Brad Colwell says the university will start working on a policy governing the sale of alcohol on campus after the holiday break. It remains unclear when alcohol sales will begin.
sealhall74

I think they just want to get back on that Playboy top 40 list:

http://www.fiestafrog.com/playboys-1987 ... -colleges/ ;)

Yep, I also think the other schools will follow suit. Should be good for the local bars and restaurants as well. You can whet your whistle at the game, take care of your munchies after the game, finish with a nightcap or two, and struggle to get to that 8am class the next morning.
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherface

Not a big fan of this trend. Heh, I enjoy a beer,however, I'm tired of going to games where alcohol is sold and putting up with a bunch of drunks during or after the event. There's a tailgate area, that should be enough opportunity for those old enough to drink. Nothing worse than putting up with a drunk at a game, except putting up with a zit faced drunk. Yes, I know everyone will verify only those of age get the beer that's ordered :lol:

I've seen more than one fight during or after to know it can put a damper on everyone's enjoyment. Drunks hollering obscenities etc. Just to raise money I find it distasteful. Why should folks spend hard earned money to put up with drunks who can easily get the beer. Yes, I have been to pro games, Power 5 games in several conferences, and the problems are everywhere. Drink in the tailgate area, and leave the rest of us alone to enjoy a family atmosphere. My two cents.
Tere North

I think you'd eliminate much of the problems if you did not permit bringing of cans/bottles into the game. Then they'd have to purchase beer only in cups from the approved vendors. I've seen that at many pro and college venues and while it doesn't eliminate those already drunk from getting into the game, it does do a pretty good job of maintaining civility throughout.

Honestly, in the past I've seen far more townies sneaking beer bottles into the game up in the purple section that I ever saw issues with students.
leatherface

Tere, that's certainly a reasonable approach. One of the smaller private schools I worked at did set up a fenced in tent where only beer and wine could be purchased, away from the game entrance somewhat. One or two uniformed police were present to "card" folks and have a presence for visibility.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Yea, I think there's a way to do it that will work. Keep a section specifically for alcohol sales, have a couple of extra OPS officers there to check IDs and make sure everything is good and it should be ok. As long as they break even, I think it'd still be a "win" overall. I think the "goal" of doing something like this should really be to bring more students and fans into the stadium. As it stands, I think a lot of fans decide to come to the tailgate to hang out and drink, but then don't come into the stadium because they want to keep drinking. If there's the option to do that, it might bring in a few more people to the stands.
leatherface

A little sad when you feel you must offer alcohol in order to get folks to come to an event- isn't it. That's got to tell us something- I'm not sure what. :oops:
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherface wrote:A little sad when you feel you must offer alcohol in order to get folks to come to an event- isn't it. That's got to tell us something- I'm not sure what. :oops:
Well, I'd love for it to be the case where students viewed the football games as the place to be and thing to do on a Saturday afternoon like it used to be "back in the day", but the reality of the situation is that it just isn't. Too many distractions, too much else going on, not enough incentive for students to show up. Selling alcohol won't solve all the problems, but I've heard students say that they don't go to games because they have to stop drinking there. Now, I'm sure that some of those people would still just go somewhere else instead of into the game, but there's probably a decent number who would go into the game if they could "legally" have a few beers in the stadium somewhere.