Football at UI-Springfield?

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

It sounds like it's just a thought for possibly looking at down the road...something more "long-term", but I figured I'd post this here anyway in case anyone is interested.
http://illinoistimes.com/article-18160- ... field.html

I don't think we'll see it happen in the next decade, but if we're ever able to get the budget "righted", and UIS's enrollment increases a good chunk, we might end up seeing it.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherface

Very expensive to add,however, the guy has done it before. His quote- "Sarra has lofty goals for the school to grow while he is in charge. “The true vision here is to be the premier Division II public university athletics program,” he said. “Basically, we want to be ‘it’ in the Midwest. When students who are athletes look at an opportunity, they’ll look and think UIS, because it’s going to have the best facilities and it’s going to have the best experience. We’re going to engage them in everything. We’re going to give them every opportunity to be successful here.", sounds more interesting. Something I would rather Western attain as a total athletic program, than struggle in D-1. However, the only close D2 is the GLVC, and, football there is very,very weak. However, basketball is strong.

Looking at what's available in D2 in the Midwest, I would say Western has few options but to continue as D1, and hope resources improve so the total athletic program can find sustained success. UIS is growing, and located in a good area. Sounds like he has a plan that might fit their environment.

In a related note, driving through Quincy I saw a large bill board from UMSL ( U of Missouri-St. Louis ) recruiting students with Missouri in-state tuition for Illinois residents. The battle for students continues, and the Illinois politicians aren't helping.
wiu712

Football at UIS would be an ambitious goal.

When UIS began as "Sangamon State" back in 1969, it was an "upper division" university--offering junior and senior level classes. The thinking at that time was that freshmen and sophomores would take their first two years at a community college. In Springfield, UIS is adjacent to Lincoln Land Community College which allowed students to take courses at both schools at the same time. The "upper division" concept was eliminated in 2001. UIS is now a full, four-year university.