Coaching changes/Players leaving 2017

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:11 pm Brad Underwood was the assistant coach (under Coach Jim Kerwin) at Western 1992-2003.
That was the Drew Valpo era. ;)

Update: Thinking back to those times, Homer Drew made a killing in the MidCon by bringing in talent from across the Atlantic. I checked the rosters for SF Austin and OSU and it appears Underwood did some similar stuff there. Maybe he learned something by watching Drew kick ass year in and year out. It will be very interesting to see if Underwood does the same thing in Champaign. Academically, they are already well into the game of recruiting foreign (mostly Asian) talent.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Neckfansince71

Happy for Brad Underwood but I still feel sorry for the Oklahoma State! The AD thought that he would stay until his retirement and felt he was a perfect fit. 5th in the Big 12, NCAA qualifier, but he was under paid and even though he was renegotiating his contract, it still was not enough to keep him at OSU! In every situation like this there are winners and losers. Reminds me of the Neilson situation last year. No matter what, everyone is never going to be happy! ;) jc
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:35 pm
wiu712 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:11 pm Brad Underwood was the assistant coach (under Coach Jim Kerwin) at Western 1992-2003.
That was the Drew Valpo era. ;)

Update: Thinking back to those times, Homer Drew made a killing in the MidCon by bringing in talent from across the Atlantic. I checked the rosters for SF Austin and OSU and it appears Underwood did some similar stuff there. Maybe he learned something by watching Drew kick ass year in and year out. It will be very interesting to see if Underwood does the same thing in Champaign. Academically, they are already well into the game of recruiting foreign (mostly Asian) talent.
Three years in a row we lost to those guys in the Mid-Con Championship game. Their team was essentially a bunch of guys from eastern Europe who's names we couldn't pronounce...and Bryce Drew. I was convinced that as soon as Valpo moved along to another conference, we'd start winning championships, but unfortunately, that coincided with us falling from the top ranks of the conference and we've never quite made it back.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

[tweet][/tweet]
Tere North

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:44 pm [tweet][/tweet]
No kidding on the salary upgrade! Wow.
meganeck

The Illini women have hired the Washington University coach, sounds like she has been there a long time and been very successful, just makes you wonder why she had never been hired at the D1 level before. Seems like a big jump from D3 to a big time D1 school. I wonder how successful she will be, but will be interesting to see.
meganeck

The South Dakota coach is the new Drake men's basketball coach.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote:The South Dakota coach is the new Drake men's basketball coach.
Not surprising, in USD's tournament game the announcers were talking about how he'd likely be moving "up" pretty soon.

Just FYI, the "up" is in quotes because even though they spend more money on basketball than most of the Summit League teams, if Wichita State ends up leaving the MVC soon, as is rumored, I don't really see the Summit being that much behind the MVC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
meganeck

Well scratch that, Smith is now staying at USD, South Dakota came up with some money and upped his contract and now he isn't leaving.
wiu712

The Sioux Falls newspaper reported that Craig Smith's salary for this past season at USD was $196,000.

Sources say the offer from Drake was $350,000 and for multiple seasons.