Wichita St leaving MVC?

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
BobLovely

Saint Louis University is a former Valley member from the glory basketball years [1950s and 60s] of the conference. They were always a good fit. Was never sure why they left...

Bob
meganeck

According to Dave Reynolds from the Journal Star, MVC visited Murray St yesterday, at Valpo today and have visits lined with Milwaukee and Omaha.
leatherface

If Valpo and UWM leave, I would expect Purdue-Fort Wayne and IUPUI to take their place. If the MVC picks up Murray State, look for them to be in the MVFC. If Omaha leaves too, The Summit will still be down two schools.
Interesting, I thought NDSU and SDSU figured they would be invited to the MVC.
Rabbit74

I don't think SDSU is interested in moving to the MVC. With the Summit on the upswing and the Valley on the down swing, there isn't much to be gained IMHO. I have read on some message boards that WIU might be interested in moving to the Ohio Valley if the Indiana Summit schools were to leave for the Horizon or elsewhere. Is that idle speculation or is there some interest?
leatherface

Likely idle speculation, however, that has always been my preference. There are schools in the OVC Western could develop into a strong rivalry. My lack of strong Summit support was the influence of the Dakota schools, travel, and no natural rivalries. Seems the OVC has more schools Western has in common than the Summit.

The Summit is a very good conference, but, IMHO Western should be in a conference that has all sports, and where some natural rivalries can be developed. Having said that, it would be tough to leave the MVFC. But, except for Illinois State in football, there isn't any real rival ( as seen by both schools), and, if you make the playoffs, who cares what conference you are in.
sealhall74

I am all for a move to the OVC. In-state rivals are a huge plus, just ask any of the *Dakota* folks. OVC has rifle and IMHO, any school with a military heritage needs to sponsor competitive rifle at the NCAA level. Just my thoughts but I am sticking to 'em.
Embrace the pace of the race.
meganeck

Sounds like Valpo, might be the choice for the MVC. Probably only adding one team.
NIU#1FBinIL

meganeck wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 12:46 pm Sounds like Valpo, might be the choice for the MVC. Probably only adding one team.
Earliest rumors were that Valpo and Murray State were the choices and that the MVC was going to expand to 11. Some speculation was that 12 was the actual target but that Belmont rebuffed the MVC.

Some of the latest murmurs are that perhaps the MVC only adds Valpo as the 10th member. Further speculation is that perhaps Valpo is 10th for 2017 and Murray State will still be 11th but not until 2018 with a continued pressure for Belmont to join with them as 11/12 and that perhaps if Belmont stays firm (which seems likely) the MVC adds UW-Milwaukee as the 12th (or maybe stays at 10).

If all of that goes down, the Horizon is expected to take one of the Indiana schools (IUPUI/Fort Wayne) in 2017 to replace the departing Valpo and then probably the other in 2018 in the event that UWM leaves at that time.

So, what will the Summit League do if one of both of the Indiana schools leave for the Horizon League?

Discussion here: Summit League's Future
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Looks like Valpo is it:
[tweet][/tweet]

Not surprising...should be a good fit, is in the region, has good basketball, football program not an issue (will likely remain in the Pioneer League). I don't think we'll see much, if any, further shifting due to the move at this point.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 10:32 amI don't think we'll see much, if any, further shifting due to the move at this point.
The MVC Expansion Committee has announced that they will continue to meet for the next 9 months to evaluate further expansion opportunities.

Omaha could be a replacement for Valpo in the Horizon League.