Horizon League Replacement

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
leatherneckcountry

So IUPUI is joining the horizon league this year meaning everyone will make the summit league tournament for basketball this year.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:42 pm So IUPUI is joining the horizon league this year meaning everyone will make the summit league tournament for basketball this year.
That appears to be correct, yes.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

With the conference moving west I wonder if the conference has considered moving league offices west.
sealhall74

With the Jags jumping ship this year, I assume that leaves a couple of open dates looking for a game. If you can't find a quality D1 replacement, I would like to see the travel partner schools try to arrange a couple of "JV" games in which they play the bench kids for most if not all of the game. Would not count in the W/L column but would be extremely beneficial to both players and fans IMO.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

The main drawback to being in the Summit is the travel as measured in time and expense.

The conference ranges from Fort Wayne to Denver and from Tulsa to Grand Forks.
wiu712

IUPUI leaves the Summit League for Horizon.

By Jared DuBach, McDonough County Voice:

Indiana University-Purdue University Indiana (IUPUI) is leaving the Summit League effective Friday, citing “geography” as a factor behind the school’s decision.

“I was first notified on Friday morning (June 23) by IUPUI Chancellor Paydar that they will be withdrawing from our league, effective June 30. He stated to me that they enjoyed their membership in the Summit League, but geography was the factor in their decision to switch leagues,” said Summit League Commissioner Tom Douple in a release to media.

“IUPUI was a 20-year member of our league, and while we will miss the relationships forged over that time, the Summit League remains a solid entity going forward. The recent addition of the University of North Dakota for the fall of 2018 is a move that strengthens the quality of league membership.“

IUPUI’s move to Horizon League also fills the gap left by the departure of Valparaiso to join the Missouri Valley Conference. IUPUI is now the 10th member of the Horizon League.

“The Summit League has made continued progress in recent years, and there is no reason to believe that will not continue,” Douple continued. “Men’s and women’s basketball success is evident in RPI ascension and our tournament continues to gain notoriety as one of the best environments in the nation. In 2016-17 alone, we advanced a team to the Men’s Soccer College Cup and crowned our latest track and field national champion. Those achievements are indicative of the dedication to pursue excellence across our league membership.

“We will continue our efforts to explore the expansion options that we currently have and create new membership options for the future. When membership changes have occurred in the Summit League, there has been short term disappointment, but in the long term, the end result has proven to be a stronger league.“

With IUPUI’s departure, the Summit League is now at eight teams for the 2017-18 season.

“We wish IUPUI the best of luck in the Horizon League,” Western Illinois University Athletics Director Matt Tanney stated on Wednesday. “We look forward to working with our respective members of the Summit League in the coming academic year.”
sealhall74

I do like the hoops tournament atmosphere in Sioux Falls but locking it there forever is not a good idea. Douple needs to come to grips with the fact that it needs to move around every so often. If it does not, more teams will heading for greener pastures sooner rather than later.
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherneckcountry

So on UMKC board someone said they expect that they will jump back to the summit league next year which lets hope so.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:44 pm So on UMKC board someone said they expect that they will jump back to the summit league next year which lets hope so.
Wouldn't surprise me. I know that a decent number of the people there haven't really been that happy with the move to the WAC. It makes sense geographically, would save quite a bit of travel costs. Right now, I don't see any WAC members that they could drive/bus to in a reasonable amount of time. In the Summit, a 5 hour drive would get them to Western, Oral Roberts, Omaha, South Dakota, and almost to the BBall Championship location in Sioux Falls. Expand it to 6 hours and you can add South Dakota State to that. Plus, I'd imagine a flight from KC to Denver is just about the easiest thing ever.

Right now, their closest opponent is Chicago State at just under 7.5 hours drive, and who knows how much longer they'll be able to sponsor DI athletics.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000