Horizon League Replacement

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:44 am Looks like IUPUI accepted the invite.
[tweet][/tweet]

Question now is, will Fort Wayne also get an invite in the next year or so and will they go if they do? They're WAY out on their own now (although we're out a ways too)...I guess we're travel partners with Fort Wayne for now.
If you look at the conference map now, minus IUPUI and with the future addition of UND, there's only us and Fort Wayne that are not only east of the Mississippi, but east of the state borders along I-29 (ND/MN, SD/MN, NE/IA, KS/MO, etc.). I've seen talk of possibly approaching UMKC for a return to the Summit League, but nothing official (and I don't know if they even want to), so I added them as a different color pin on the map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-T6yr ... sp=sharing

Question now is, where do we go from here? We're losing another bus-travel team (IUPUI is ~5 hours away) and adding a game we'll have to fly to (Grand Forks is 11+ hours away driving), so travel costs are going to go up.

Without somehow getting an invite to the Horizon League (highly unlikely) or MVC (even less likely), there's not really a great option out there for us. I'm not a huge fan of trying to join the Ohio Valley, since I really like our existing rivalries/opponents in the MVFC and the OVC would want all sports, but considering our options, it might be one of the better ones.
Even though for personal reasons I would have rather seen it been Fort Wayne i like having an even # of teams I like 8 teams i personally don't want to see western leave the summit either even though a few years ago when Oakland left i was all for it
leatherneckcountry

leatherneckcountry wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:00 am
ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:44 am Looks like IUPUI accepted the invite.
[tweet][/tweet]

Question now is, will Fort Wayne also get an invite in the next year or so and will they go if they do? They're WAY out on their own now (although we're out a ways too)...I guess we're travel partners with Fort Wayne for now.
If you look at the conference map now, minus IUPUI and with the future addition of UND, there's only us and Fort Wayne that are not only east of the Mississippi, but east of the state borders along I-29 (ND/MN, SD/MN, NE/IA, KS/MO, etc.). I've seen talk of possibly approaching UMKC for a return to the Summit League, but nothing official (and I don't know if they even want to), so I added them as a different color pin on the map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-T6yr ... sp=sharing

Question now is, where do we go from here? We're losing another bus-travel team (IUPUI is ~5 hours away) and adding a game we'll have to fly to (Grand Forks is 11+ hours away driving), so travel costs are going to go up.

Without somehow getting an invite to the Horizon League (highly unlikely) or MVC (even less likely), there's not really a great option out there for us. I'm not a huge fan of trying to join the Ohio Valley, since I really like our existing rivalries/opponents in the MVFC and the OVC would want all sports, but considering our options, it might be one of the better ones.
Even though for personal reasons I would have rather seen it been Fort Wayne i like having an even # of teams I like 8 teams i personally don't want to see western leave the summit either even though a few years ago when Oakland left i was all for it if the summit league where to go after someone a team that is never talked about YSU from a competitive stand point there league record is not good in the horizon league.
sealhall74

Two or three hoops coaches are breathing easier now since with an even eight, no one will be left out of the conference tournament. I do think we would have a lot more success across all sports in the OVC. It's my two cents. Oh wait, that is Larry King's line. ;)
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherneckcountry

sealhall74 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:50 am Two or three hoops coaches are breathing easier now since with an even eight, no one will be left out of the conference tournament. I do think we would have a lot more success across all sports in the OVC. It's my two cents. Oh wait, that is Larry King's line. ;)
Aren't there still 10 teams.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:56 am
sealhall74 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:50 am Two or three hoops coaches are breathing easier now since with an even eight, no one will be left out of the conference tournament. I do think we would have a lot more success across all sports in the OVC. It's my two cents. Oh wait, that is Larry King's line. ;)
Currently there are 9 teams. If we lose IUPUI and add UND, still at 9. Adding UMKC takes us to an even 10 for tournament purposes. Doesn't help us any extra padding on the baseball team # issue though.

In alphabetical order:
  1. Denver
  2. Fort Wayne
  3. IUPUI
  4. NDSU
  5. Omaha
  6. Oral Bob
  7. USD
  8. SDSU
  9. WIU
UND is joining the 2018-19 school year/season.
IUPUI is leaving probably the same year, but we don't really know at this point.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:58 am
Currently there are 9 teams. If we lose IUPUI and add UND, still at 9. Adding UMKC takes us to an even 10 for tournament purposes. Doesn't help us any extra padding on the baseball team # issue though.
UND does not come in until 2018 I think.
leatherneckcountry

sealhall74 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:01 am

yeah some reason i counted 5 dakota schools instead of 4 i would guess that iupui leaves in 2018
sealhall74

leatherneckcountry wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:03 am
sealhall74 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:01 am

yeah some reason i counted 5 dakota schools instead of 4 i would guess that iupui leaves in 2018
I guess I was thinking they were leaving now. If not now, then IUPUI will be the odd man out of the tournament this year regardless of finish.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:03 am yeah some reason i counted 5 dakota schools instead of 4 i would guess that iupui leaves in 2018
Yea, just 4...XDU and XDSU for each of North and South.

9 is why we currently have a basketball tournament where 8 go and 1 gets left out. 10 (if we added UMKC) would get all teams into the tournament, but you'd have the bottom 4 seeds play games against each other with the winners taking on the #1 and #2 seeds in the first full round of the tournament. Standard 8-team bracket from there.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:08 am
leatherneckcountry wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:03 am yeah some reason i counted 5 dakota schools instead of 4 i would guess that iupui leaves in 2018
Yea, just 4...XDU and XDSU for each of North and South.

9 is why we currently have a basketball tournament where 8 go and 1 gets left out. 10 (if we added UMKC) would get all teams into the tournament, but you'd have the bottom 4 seeds play games against each other with the winners taking on the #1 and #2 seeds in the first full round of the tournament. Standard 8-team bracket from there.
I guess adding UMKC just doesn't seem to do anything for me i wasn't sad to see them go i guess the only reason to add them would be for #'s i would still rather them add YSU