Horizon League Replacement

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
leatherneckcountry

leatherneckcountry wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:47 pm
ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:41 pm Hmmm...apparently the Horizon League is wanting to get to 14 schools eventually. If we can collaborate with Fort Wayne and get them to take us both as a package deal (they can be travel partners with IUPUI, we can be travel partners with UIC)...that would be pretty ideal, I think.
  • No need to worry about football team moving.
  • 5-7 bus-trip schools (instead of maybe 3-4 in the Summit).
  • Some history with most of the schools...Mid-Con in the early '90s looked a lot like the Horizon League does now...Cleveland State, UIC, Green Bay, Valpo (although they're heading to the MVC), Wright State, Youngstown State, Milwaukee.
  • Would help recruiting in closer metro areas...Chicago, Indy, Milwaukee, etc...especially with what feels like half the women's team coming from Wisconsin.
  • Oakland BBall HC Greg Kampe gets to come back for some Sunrise Cafe chicken ;)
I would personally would love this if we do have to move but i don't know what we bring for the horizon league i fill like we would be the one coming as just a # if they do this i would assume it would be divided into divisions.
leatherneckcountry

If my math is correct that would be 12 assuming they may go after murray st and belmont.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:55 pm If my math is correct that would be 12 assuming they may go after murray st and belmont.
Idk, sounds like those schools have a bit higher goals than the Horizon League. I know there's still a lot of talk about the MVC bringing in Murray State in the next couple of years.

After browsing around some Horizon League message boards, I think that a lot of the fans there would outright quit watching college sports altogether if they invited Western.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:05 pm
leatherneckcountry wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:55 pm If my math is correct that would be 12 assuming they may go after murray st and belmont.
Idk, sounds like those schools have a bit higher goals than the Horizon League. I know there's still a lot of talk about the MVC bringing in Murray State in the next couple of years.

After browsing around some Horizon League message boards, I think that a lot of the fans there would outright quit watching college sports altogether if they invited Western.
That's Western biggest weakness is that they don't really bring much to a league other than being a #
leatherneckcountry

Looks like many aren't thrilled with IUPUI addition either.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:18 pm Looks like many aren't thrilled with IUPUI addition either.
They very much are not. That's what I was considering. If they're this upset about IUPUI...who at least is in their league headquarters city, right in the middle of the conference footprint, and is in a metro area...they would absolutely go into meltdown mode if they invited us.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:28 pm
leatherneckcountry wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:18 pm Looks like many aren't thrilled with IUPUI addition either.
They very much are not. That's what I was considering. If they're this upset about IUPUI...who at least is in their league headquarters city, right in the middle of the conference footprint, and is in a metro area...they would absolutely go into meltdown mode if they invited us.
Oakland fans are the ones complaining the most they cry more than a new born baby must get from Kampe.
sealhall74

leatherneckcountry wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:30 pm
Oakland fans are the ones complaining the most they cry more than a new born baby must get from Kampe.
I know Kampe is champing at the bit to get back to Macomb and the Sunrise Cafe for some of them chicken tenders. That is my all-time favorite coach's pre-game interview.
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherneckcountry

sealhall74 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:51 pm

I know Kampe is champing at the bit to get back to Macomb and the Sunrise Cafe for some of them chicken tenders. That is my all-time favorite coach's pre-game interview.
i guess i missed that interview.
sealhall74

leatherneckcountry wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:54 pm
sealhall74 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:51 pm

i guess i missed that interview.
It's on Youtube and a classic Kampe moment. [youtube][/youtube]
Embrace the pace of the race.