Horizon League Replacement

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:27 am I guess adding UMKC just doesn't seem to do anything for me i wasn't sad to see them go i guess the only reason to add them would be for #'s i would still rather them add YSU
The Summit isn't at all interested in looking further east at this point. They're more likely to continue adding schools to the west. We could very well be the furthest east school in the conference in a couple of years. The advantage to adding UMKC for us is that KC is a bus-drive trip, rather than another flight.

YSU is more likely to join the CAA than come back to the Summit.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:31 am
leatherneckcountry wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:27 am I guess adding UMKC just doesn't seem to do anything for me i wasn't sad to see them go i guess the only reason to add them would be for #'s i would still rather them add YSU
The Summit isn't at all interested in looking further east at this point. They're more likely to continue adding schools to the west. We could very well be the furthest east school in the conference in a couple of years. The advantage to adding UMKC for us is that KC is a bus-drive trip, rather than another flight.

YSU is more likely to join the CAA than come back to the Summit.
Also wonder if Chicago St would be interested to come back if they keep there doors open or if there are any new schools try to jump up to the D1 level that would be good addition like USD and UNO did.
leatherface

Please, please, please, donn't even mention Chicago State. If the spread continues west, Western should look elsewhere. No brainer- cost of travel would be too high, too many classroom days lost, and, in my opinion not a good stewardship of funds, especially in this day and age. What would really justify that much travel and cost?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

If chicago state has another 86 student freshman class, I'd be really surprised if they're still sponsoring DI athletics. I don't think we should be looking to add them to anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:01 pm If chicago state has another 86 student freshman class, I'd be really surprised if they're still sponsoring DI athletics. I don't think we should be looking to add them to anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok earlier i mentioned possibly schools moving to the D1 level and the 1st school that popped into mind was central missouri do you know with there success if that something they have discussed
leatherface

I'm very familiar with the MIAA. Central and some others have looked at moving up, but have all decided it's not worth it. They know what their resources are-and to be honest, many have better facilities than WIU-, and choose to remain D2. They want their athletes to have a legitimate shot at national championships, and not flounder around at D1.
The MIAA members- especially the Missouri and Kansas schools, are unique that besides the few legit major sports schools in their states, they can pick up a large number of very good athletes for D2. Personnaly, I would rather be in the hunt each year for a national championship at D2 than flounder around at D1year after year. The culture is different in the MIAA, or as they call it, the SEC of D2. I'll repeat myself yet again, if you believe a national championship at D2 doesn't mean much, call a meeting of coaches and players from Northwest Missouri, Central, Grand Valley or others and tell them that to their face- see what happens.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:13 pm Ok earlier i mentioned possibly schools moving to the D1 level and the 1st school that popped into mind was central missouri do you know with there success if that something they have discussed
It's a possibility, sure. I haven't heard that it's something that they want to do, and I know that Missouri has been having issues with their higher-ed system as well, although not on the level of Illinois.
Central Missouri has ~14.5k students in a town of 20k (not too far off from Western maybe a decade ago actually). Their basketball arena seats 6,500, football stadium seats 12,000 (that's more than USD's DakotaDome holds). They already sponsor 8 men's and 9 women's sports, so there's not really much they'd have to do other than bump up scholarships a bit.
Other possibilities in that same line of thinking: Lindenwood University, Northwest Missouri State (although I've heard that they are NOT interested in going DI...but who knows).

Another thing to think about though is that if a school moves up from DII and they have a football team...what happens with that? I doubt they want any more schools in the MVFC. So they might want a school that doesn't have football, in which case you might be looking at someone like Missouri-St. Louis or Southern Indiana (although they're likely too far east for Summit consideration).
leatherneckcountry

A national championship at any level is something very special i was fortunate enough to part of a team that won a NJCAA 2 national championship in basketball and i wouldn't take back for almost anything.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Hmmm...apparently the Horizon League is wanting to get to 14 schools eventually. If we can collaborate with Fort Wayne and get them to take us both as a package deal (they can be travel partners with IUPUI, we can be travel partners with UIC)...that would be pretty ideal, I think.
  • No need to worry about football team moving.
  • 5-7 bus-trip schools (instead of maybe 3-4 in the Summit).
  • Some history with most of the schools...Mid-Con in the early '90s looked a lot like the Horizon League does now...Cleveland State, UIC, Green Bay, Valpo (although they're heading to the MVC), Wright State, Youngstown State, Milwaukee.
  • Would help recruiting in closer metro areas...Chicago, Indy, Milwaukee, etc...especially with what feels like half the women's team coming from Wisconsin.
  • Oakland BBall HC Greg Kampe gets to come back for some Sunrise Cafe chicken ;)
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:41 pm Hmmm...apparently the Horizon League is wanting to get to 14 schools eventually. If we can collaborate with Fort Wayne and get them to take us both as a package deal (they can be travel partners with IUPUI, we can be travel partners with UIC)...that would be pretty ideal, I think.
  • No need to worry about football team moving.
  • 5-7 bus-trip schools (instead of maybe 3-4 in the Summit).
  • Some history with most of the schools...Mid-Con in the early '90s looked a lot like the Horizon League does now...Cleveland State, UIC, Green Bay, Valpo (although they're heading to the MVC), Wright State, Youngstown State, Milwaukee.
  • Would help recruiting in closer metro areas...Chicago, Indy, Milwaukee, etc...especially with what feels like half the women's team coming from Wisconsin.
  • Oakland BBall HC Greg Kampe gets to come back for some Sunrise Cafe chicken ;)
I would personally would love this if we do have to move but i don't know what we bring for the horizon league i fill like we would be the one coming as just a #.