FBS Coaching Carousel

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I know we're more into FCS, but I figured there might be a few things going on in the FBS world that have some connection to Western or are area or whatever. Here's a few from footballscoop.com:

Florida: Todd Grantham, who coordinated the defense at Mississippi State last season, has officially been named defensive coordinator on Dan Mullen’s staff with the Gators.
(Todd Grantham is the brother of WIU's DC Tony Grantham)

Also, Dave Doeren, current HC at NC State, has been offered the HC position at Tennessee. NC State has countered with a new offer: http://footballscoop.com/news/reports-d ... -position/
Doeren played at Drake, coached LB and then was DC at Drake...after a few other positions, he became the HC at Northern Illinois (taking over after Jerry Kill left for MN) and led the Huskies to a 23-4 record and two bowl games over two years before being hired at NC State. His WR coach in 2012 at NIU and in 2013 and 2014 at NC State was WIU Alumni (and current TN Titans WR coach) Frisman Jackson.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
vatusay

Rumors abound that Bob Nielsen has been offered the Kent state HC job.
#ALLIN #YOLO
sealhall74

Re Nielson, I am not believing anything until I see that :lol: bundle of kindling.
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherneckcountry

The great Herm Edwards has accepted the ASU job.
vatusay

sealhall74 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:30 pm Re Nielson, I am not believing anything until I see that :lol: bundle of kindling.

Lol!!

#ALLIN #YOLO
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki

Has he told the players that he's not leaving? That might be a clue........... :lol:
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Last I heard is that he's on campus at Kent State today for interviews, so it's looking more and more like he will probably be going there, but nothing is a done deal yet.

Obviously I can't tell you all what to do or not to do, but I'd strongly suggest not going over to the USD message boards to give them an "I told you so" or anything. If you remember how many of us felt two years ago when Nielson left for South Dakota, realize that's how many of the Coyote fans are feeling this week. We had just had our first trip back to the playoffs in a decent number of years, felt like we were just starting to build something, then the rug got pulled out from under us. It eventually worked out just fine for us, but we didn't know that at the time. USD just had their first trip to the FCS playoffs, they had a very decent season compared to what they've been used to since moving to DI, and now it looks like the coach that helped get them there is jumping ship for a "big" payday.
I know that it's "part of the business of football", but I don't think we need to go rubbing it in to Coyote fans.

Anyway, that's just my $0.02 and that's how I plan on handling the situation.
leatherneckcountry

If he does leave it will be interesting to see if they stay in house with O'Boyle or Yelk or do they Cherry Pick another MVFC coach stay away from Fisher that seems like it would be a pretty sought after job.
leatherneckcountry

Willie Taggart has accepted the FSU job I can't remember this many power 5 coaches leaving for other power 5 jobs