FBS Coaching Carousel

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
rocki

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:53 pm Last I heard is that he's on campus at Kent State today for interviews, so it's looking more and more like he will probably be going there, but nothing is a done deal yet.

Obviously I can't tell you all what to do or not to do, but I'd strongly suggest not going over to the USD message boards to give them an "I told you so" or anything. If you remember how many of us felt two years ago when Nielson left for South Dakota, realize that's how many of the Coyote fans are feeling this week. We had just had our first trip back to the playoffs in a decent number of years, felt like we were just starting to build something, then the rug got pulled out from under us. It eventually worked out just fine for us, but we didn't know that at the time. USD just had their first trip to the FCS playoffs, they had a very decent season compared to what they've been used to since moving to DI, and now it looks like the coach that helped get them there is jumping ship for a "big" payday.
I know that it's "part of the business of football", but I don't think we need to go rubbing it in to Coyote fans.

Anyway, that's just my $0.02 and that's how I plan on handling the situation.
I'm not registered over there, so I only read the posts. I don't think anyone has to say anything - I've seen them talk about "us" telling them to watch out way back when he first took the job.

I'm sure it's a huge disappointment for them, I'm just hoping he didn't lead the USD players on like he did the Leatherneck players. That was my whole gripe - not that he left, but that he bold faced lied to the team about it. He could have at least kept his mouth shut and not said anything.
leatherneckcountry

Reports are saying that has decided to stay.
vatusay

Dies this sound familiar?

#ALLIN #YOLO
rocki

Call me cynical, but I wouldn't bet the house on that statement. :lol:
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:59 pm I'm sure it's a huge disappointment for them, I'm just hoping he didn't lead the USD players on like he did the Leatherneck players. That was my whole gripe - not that he left, but that he bold faced lied to the team about it. He could have at least kept his mouth shut and not said anything.
Yes....exactly this. I mentioned over on AGS when some people were talking about it this weekend. It wasn't THAT he left...it was HOW he left.

I'm also seeing the mentions by a couple of people that it sounds like he's said he's not going anywhere. At this point, I don't trust a word out of his mouth.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
vatusay

If I were a betting man (which I am) Id say USD had to come up with some coin to keep him around. Something wiu couldn’t do.
#ALLIN #YOLO
Tere North

OK, Kent State would be a move up to the FBS, but c'mon, 6th out of 6 for the MAC East. Why would he even contemplate that. But then again, I hope he does, and gets into a situation he can't coach his way out of. Kent State's HC for FB base salary is in the $400k range. Sure, $100k or so more than South Dakota, but is it really only about the money for Nielsen.
rocki

Tere North wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:36 pm OK, Kent State would be a move up to the FBS, but c'mon, 6th out of 6 for the MAC East. Why would he even contemplate that. But then again, I hope he does, and gets into a situation he can't coach his way out of. Kent State's HC for FB base salary is in the $400k range. Sure, $100k or so more than South Dakota, but is it really only about the money for Nielsen.
Who knows?
Neckfansince71

For me it is not why he left as much as how he left and the mess that he left behind! We went from the penthouse to the poop house in a matter of hours. I know the state of the "state" of Illinois was looming, and I still think he wanted to be AD, but the telling the players he was not leaving and then leaving........has never and will never sit right for me. Never! ;) jc
sealhall74

Fishing in that area sucks. Big reservoir nearby. No fishing allowed on it. Not surprised he did not make the move.
Embrace the pace of the race.