U MASS

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
Western_101

So U MASS thought they needed to FBS.

I honestly don't think this whole thing was thought through very well, let alone executed very well.

U-Mass cannot survive as Independent, unless the school wants to operate with a multiple million dollar deficit yearly.

Their stadium doesn't pass muster for FBS status.

Oh, did I mention that they are not very competitive.

What was wrong with the CAA? I hope they can recognize their football home in the CAA. Otherwise they will have to drop the sport. Alumni don't like losing football.

Heck we ought to make this the "why you goin FBS thread" lol. I'm looking at you GA Southern, App State. Coastal. Wanna be something you are not designed to be.

I would wager money that the Grand Valleys, Northwest Mo States and the Whitewaters (wow DIII) would dominate some of these sad excuses for FBS.
leatherneckcountry

I don’t really agree with throwing App State in there they have done just fine the last few years.
Western_101

Yeah, Leatherneckcountry. App State is pretty legit. Maybe I'm just disappointed they left our Subdivision. It's been quite a few years, I prolly need to let it go.

You know there is no wrath like an FCS fan scorned. Lol. Oh sorry I, got to run I'm late for my therapist session.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:29 pm Yeah, Leatherneckcountry. App State is pretty legit. Maybe I'm just disappointed they left our Subdivision. It's been quite a few years, I prolly need to let it go.

You know there is no wrath like an FCS fan scorned. Lol. Oh sorry I, got to run I'm late for my therapist session.
I don't really feel like they scorned the FCS. Many of those schools were quite successful at the FCS level and at some point decided that they'd give it a go at the FBS level. Personally, I think it's a rare occasion when a team can make the jump and continue to be successful, and we may see a few more schools move back down to the FCS in the coming years if it looks like Idaho can make it work well for themselves. Outside of Notre Dame and BYU, I don't think there's many schools that can be successful as a FBS independent for the long term. Liberty is giving it a shot, but they have a TON of money (endowment over $1B). Without a conference home, UMass and NM State might have a hard time making it work.

Really though, what they're doing doesn't really affect us that much (if at all). They can go be crappy FBS teams if they want to. I'd rather be successful at the FCS level.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000