Tommy Bell out at SIUC

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
wiu712

SIU Athletic Director Tommy Bell to be replaced by Jerry Kill, effective immediately.
From the Daily Egyptian:
https://dailyegyptian.com/82526/showcas ... mediately/

Tommy Bell out as SIU athletic director; Jerry Kill to take over.
From The Southern Illinoisan:
http://thesouthern.com/news/local/siu/t ... -top-story
sealhall74

Why the hell would you try to get rid of a coach who racks up 20 wins for you? Guys like that are hard to find in Illinois right now.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:Why the hell would you try to get rid of a coach who racks up 20 wins for you? Guys like that are hard to find in Illinois right now.
That is a really weird decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Western_101

Comes around, goes around.

Jerry Kill offers good memories of days gone by and hopes of renewal. None of it has to make sense but, if the alumni buy in and contribute the almighty dollar then that really is the the win that SIU needed for now.

It, also doesn't hurt my feelings to envision Tommy Bell.....hands extended in a bread line.

Seems to me WIU wasn't waiting for something better to come along. Yes, I am happy with our current situation. However at the time Tanney was an enormous leap of faith. That leap happened to fall in the Athletics shrinking budget period. Which near as I can tell is current day..... rewind to the begining of recorded history.

If I'm a spiteful person? so be it. Tommy Bell cared about Tommy Bell mostly and most of all.

Gosh, SIU seems determined to beat us at our own game and go under first. Oh how the mighty have fallen.
LocalFan

I've always thought he simply wanted to ride the clock to get full retirement benefits from Illinois. WIU was fortunate he left before he did any more damage.
wiu712

Tommy Bell's tenure filled with many highs, lows.

From The Southern Illinoisan:
http://thesouthern.com/sports/college/s ... e-trending
leatherneckcountry

The couple time's I spoke with him I found him to be an alright guy not saying much considering who he replaced even think that he was easier to approach than Tanney. Matt isn't a bad guy just not the most approachable. I only remember 2 hires in his time at WIU in neither one is lightning the world on fire in Billy and Kelly Richardson even though no one seems to know what happened to the coach before. When Kelly was announced as the new coach at a basketball there was a bunch of us sitting around and we all were like what happen to April.
wiu51

Billy wasn't really Tommy's hire. He had never met his new basketball coach when he was hired. Billy was hired by Jack and Tommy had to smile and go along with it.