2018 Week 1 - Around the MVFC

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

SDSU at Iowa State being cancelled probably hurts Iowa State a lot more than it hurts SDSU.

The way ISU had started moving the ball, SDSU was about 99% sure going to lose the game.
For SDSU, if they finish the season at, say, 7-3 with a cancelled FBS game, it probably doesn't look much different in the eyes of the playoff committee as a 7-4 record including a FBS loss.
For ISU, if they finish with 5 wins on the season and could have gotten to 6 with the win over the Jackrabbits, then there's a good chance they won't get a bowl game.

Also, according to an SDSU beat writer, they still get their guarantee money, so it's not like they're missing out on the paycheck for it.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

From the Des Moines Sunday Register:

Per NCAA rules, the South Dakota State vs Iowa State game is recorded as a no contest. The score and statistics from the game will not be counted. Even worse, the two teams may never meet again this season.

"Unfortunately, I don’t believe we'll be able to reschedule the game with South Dakota State," Iowa State A.D. Jamie Pollard said. "Their bye week and our bye week’s aren’t the same weeks. The only time that we kind of share potentially an off week would be the championship week in December. We’d like to be playing on that weekend. They’d certainly like to be playing in the FCS playoffs that weekend. So I highly doubt that’s going to make it a possibility.”

Pollard said Sunday wasn't an option because the weather didn't look favorably the next few days. He added that both coaches didn't want a decision to move the game back a day to mess up the following week's game schedule.

“I’m going to guess that there’s a host of probably FCS opponents around the Midwest that are in the same boat that we’re in — that they’re going to lose a game (Saturday)," Pollard said. "So we’ll have ample time to work on that over the next several weeks to possible schedule somebody else to be here on that Oct. 20 weekend. Coach (Matt) Campbell and I have talked about that and are in agreement that we would use that bye week if we could to do that. If we can’t find somebody and we were in a position that we needed a sixth win for a bowl game then we always have the ability to possibly play on championship weekend.”

Pollard said South Dakota State would be paid in full for its visit to Iowa State. He added that any players who were serving suspensions for the first game of the season are now eligible to play against Iowa on Saturday.

"It's not the student athletes' fault that the game couldn't be in for weather," Pollard said.

This was Iowa State's first canceled football game since 1963, when the Iowa State-Drake game on Nov. 23 was canceled due to the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.