2018 Week 9 - Around the MVFC (and other games of interest)

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
wiu712

Current MVFC standings as of October 27:
North Dakota State 5-0
Western Illinois 3-2
Northern Iowa 3-2
South Dakota State 3-2
Missouri State 2-3
Indiana State 2-3
Youngstown State 2-3
South Dakota 2-3
Illinois State 2-3
Southern Illinois 1-4
Western_101

ISUr losing and USD being eliminated from playoffs warmed my soul better than a cup of hot cider.

I kinda feel bad for the YSU players and fans. I'm no student of Bo Pelini coaching methods , however more often in life we reap what we sow.

Coach Elliot has a couple of top 25 wins his first year coaching, I can't imagine how good that must feel.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:47 am ISUr losing and USD being eliminated from playoffs warmed my soul better than a cup of hot cider.

I kinda feel bad for the YSU players and fans. I'm no student of Bo Pelini coaching methods , however more often in life we reap what we sow.

Coach Elliot has a couple of top 25 wins his first year coaching, I can't imagine how good that must feel.
YSU is going to be a dumpster fire for a while. The YSU fans that I've talked to on other message boards say that Pelini doesn't recruit well and after this year, the "cupboard is bare" in terms of talent. He makes boosters happy by recruiting local HS kids, but you can't just focus on that and be successful at this level. If you go and watch some of his post-game press conferences after losses, he essentially throws his players under the bus. I just can't even imagine Coach Elliott doing something like that. If we lose a game we shouldn't have lost, I feel like Elliott would get up there and be like "this one's on me". I don't see YSU having a winning season again for at least 3-4 years, longer if they give Pelini an extension (which some YSU fans are speculating might actually happen).

I've got nothing bad to say about Coach Elliott. Sure, there were a few "growing pains" early...maybe Coach Elliott today wouldn't have lost that close one to Montana State...but he's doing some great things. The fans like him and most importantly, the players seem to really like him. We full-on out-played and out-coached UNI on Saturday. Next step is being able to do that against a team like NDSU that has both great players and great coaches.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
meganeck

I'm kinda surprised about YSU, Although I think Pelini is a miserable human being, he had good success at Nebraska, so I thought he would do good things at YSU, maybe he doesn't really want to be there, not sure but thought YSu would have more success.

It sounds like Indiana St might be a program on the rise, having a decent season this year and sounds like they are having a good recruiting class this season, anyway they are a team to be on the look out for.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:16 pm It sounds like Indiana St might be a program on the rise, having a decent season this year and sounds like they are having a good recruiting class this season, anyway they are a team to be on the look out for.
I agree with you there. They may not be competing for the conference championship, but they could solidly be one of "middle of the pack" teams that competes for a playoff at-large spot every year. A winning record and playoff spot is absolutely feasible for them in the near future.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin