Coaching Changes - post-2018 season

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
vatusay

One would think a large reduction in salary, also.
#ALLIN #YOLO
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:33 am I know Rutugers is a hot mess right now, but very strange to see an coach leave a Power 5 program to be an assistant coach at lower level. Granted North Dakota St would probably beat Rutgers if they played. I'm sure family considerations, etc were taken into consideration, but still seems strange.
Sounds like it might have been "heavily recommended" that he find another job elsewhere. It's a step down in pay, but it's probably a lot closer to "home" for him too, and that kind of money probably goes a bit further in Fargo than it does in New Jersey.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
letsgonecks

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:51 pm
meganeck wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:33 am I know Rutugers is a hot mess right now, but very strange to see an coach leave a Power 5 program to be an assistant coach at lower level. Granted North Dakota St would probably beat Rutgers if they played. I'm sure family considerations, etc were taken into consideration, but still seems strange.
Sounds like it might have been "heavily recommended" that he find another job elsewhere. It's a step down in pay, but it's probably a lot closer to "home" for him too, and that kind of money probably goes a bit further in Fargo than it does in New Jersey.
Though both were only here a short time, I was a fan. I'd wish them the best and good luck, but don't think it's needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!
meganeck

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:51 pm
Interesting, like I said Rutgers is a hot mess, so he is probably glad to be out of there.
leatherneckcountry

Looks like NIU is the market for a new coach as there coach is heading to temple.
NIU#1FBinIL

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:24 am Looks like NIU is the market for a new coach as there coach is heading to temple.
Posted this on another thread:

Speaking of...

Thomas Hammock was recently named new NIU Head Football Coach.

"Rumor" is that he may be tapping South Dakota State OC Eric Eidsness as the new NIU OC.

What can y'all tell me about SDSU's Offense?

All I know is that it was pretty prolific.

According to NCAA stats, it was the #10 Offense in all of FCS in 2018 at 480.5 yards/game. However, their 7.65 yards/play appears to rank #1.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/team/21

Is it a balanced Offense or more pass heavy or run heavy? Pro-style or more of a Spread? Does the QB run a lot in this Offense or is he more of a pocket passer? Is there an emphasis on vertical routes or is it more if a horizontal passing scheme?

I see that WIU didn't play them last season but I'm assuming most here are familiar with their style.

Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks.
NIU#1FBinIL

NIU#1FBinIL wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:33 pm
leatherneckcountry wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:24 am Looks like NIU is the market for a new coach as there coach is heading to temple.
Posted this on another thread:

Speaking of...

Thomas Hammock was recently named new NIU Head Football Coach.

"Rumor" is that he may be tapping South Dakota State OC Eric Eidsness as the new NIU OC.

What can y'all tell me about SDSU's Offense?

All I know is that it was pretty prolific.

According to NCAA stats, it was the #10 Offense in all of FCS in 2018 at 480.5 yards/game. However, their 7.65 yards/play appears to rank #1.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/team/21

Is it a balanced Offense or more pass heavy or run heavy? Pro-style or more of a Spread? Does the QB run a lot in this Offense or is he more of a pocket passer? Is there an emphasis on vertical routes or is it more of a horizontal passing scheme?

I see that WIU didn't play them last season but I'm assuming most here are familiar with their style.

Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks.
It's Official:
Eric Eidsness leaving South Dakota State for NIU

Any thought on him as an OC?

From what I've managed to find online, one of his best attributes seems to be his adaptability and being able to customize his Offense to the talent on the roster. Emphasizes pass when he's able to develop a stud QB but will emphasize the run if the QB is young/learning and/or has stud RBs on the roster. Would y'all agree with that take?
letsgonecks

Their offense did some pretty great things while he was there. He had some very solid talent, so was it all talent driven or a good mix of talent and coaching? Assuming he had a hand in finding and recruiting the offensive talent as OC, so that bodes well for NIU.

Personally think its a good hire. Hope it leads to a little better/more consistent QB play in the years to come.
NIU#1FBinIL

letsgonecks wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:32 pm Their offense did some pretty great things while he was there. He had some very solid talent, so was it all talent driven or a good mix of talent and coaching? Assuming he had a hand in finding and recruiting the offensive talent as OC, so that bodes well for NIU.

Personally think its a good hire. Hope it leads to a little better/more consistent QB play in the years to come.
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, everything I'm finding is very positive. I'm very happy with the hire and look forward to welcoming back an Offense with a pulse to DeKalb.

Rumor is that he may bring his OL coach with him and I believe that guy has a direct WIU connection.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

NIU#1FBinIL wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:53 am Rumor is that he may bring his OL coach with him and I believe that guy has a direct WIU connection.
What I heard is that he was thinking he'd be getting the HC spot pretty soon, but SDSU HC John Stiegelmeier just signed a 5-year extension, so it doesn't look like that's happening, so he started looking around elsewhere.
The O-Line coach is Jason Eck, who did coach at WIU in 2012: https://gojacks.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1932&path=football
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000