FCS Players in the 2014 NFL Draft

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

62nd Pick (2nd Round, 30th Pick) - Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois (brother of former Leatherneck LB Mike Garoppolo, 5th QB picked in draft) -> New England Patriots
67th Pick (3rd Round, 3rd Pick) - Billy Turner, OT, North Dakota State -> Miami Dolphins
94th Pick (3rd Round, 30th Pick) - Terrance West, RB, Towson -> Cleveland Browns
125th Pick (4th Round, 25th Pick) - Walt Aikens, CB, Liberty -> Miami Dolphins
137th Pick (4th Round, 37th Pick) - Dakota Dozier, OT, Furman -> NY Jets
138th Pick (4th Round, 38th Pick) - Lorenzo Talaiferro, RB, Coastal Carolina -> Baltimore Ravens
143rd Pick (5th Round, 3rd Pick) - Kadeem Edwards, OG, Tennessee State -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers
158th Pick (5th Round, 18th Pick) - Caraun Reid, DT, Princeton -> Detroit Lions
171st Pick (5th Round, 31st Pick) - Jordan Tripp, OLB, Montana -> Miami Dolphins
184th Pick (6th Round, 8th Pick) - Kendall James, CB, Maine -> Minnesota Vikings
190th Pick (6th Round, 14th Pick) - Matt Hazel, WR, Coastal Carolina -> Miami Dolphins
196th Pick (6th Round, 20th Pick) - Walt Powell, WR, Murray State -> Arizona Cardinals
226th Pick (7th Round, 11th Pick) - Mitchell Van Dyk, OT, Portland State -> St. Louis Rams
234th Pick (7th Round, 19th Pick) - Terrence Fede, DE, Marist -> Miami Dolphins
235th Pick (7th Round, 20th Pick) - Shelby Harris, DE, Illinois State -> Oakland Raiders
250th Pick (7th Round, 35th Pick) - Demetrius Rhaney, C, Tennessee State -> St. Louis Rams
255th Pick (7th Round, 40th Pick) - Tyler Starr, OLB, South Dakota -> Atlanta Falcons

Sounds like people are expecting Garoppolo to be the successor to Brady, who is currently 36 and has potentially up to 3 years left under his current contract.
And how about Miami...someone down there must like the FCS. 8 picks, 5 of them on FCS players. Their 3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th, and 8th picks all went to FCS guys (the other 3 were SEC guys).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Also, quite a few FCS players getting Free Agent contracts and invites to tryouts and mini-camps. You can follow much of that here: http://www.collegesportingnews.com/cont ... t-Athletes

Nobody from Western listed, which I don't think is entirely surprising. I can't think of anyone offhand that seemed likely to get an NFL spot out of last year's seniors. Anyone have a list of last year's Seniors? The main roster page at GoLeathernecks.com is updated to have the outgoing seniors (and other 4-year players) not listed anymore.
Tere North

I downloaded the 2013 program from the WIU Athletics website and extracted the 2 pages listing the 2013 roster, converted to images, put in my public dropbox, and here you go.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Great, thanks for the list.

So yea, I'm not really seeing anyone that's likely to be making an NFL roster spot, unless there's some really solid "under-the-radar" guy that I'm missing. All of our top playmakers on offense and defense are coming back this year (unless we lose Watson and McDaniel due to recent legal issues).

Also, apparently Garoppolo is one of the best-looking QBs now.
sealhall74

Do the undrafted free agents typically sign on with a sports agency to represent them or is it not worth it?
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:Do the undrafted free agents typically sign on with a sports agency to represent them or is it not worth it?
Honestly, I don't have any idea. I'd imagine that the ones that think that they've got a legitimate shot at making it in the NFL would do something like that. I wonder if there's agencies that specialize in handling the "mid-level" players...the ones that don't get drafted, but have the talent to play in some professional league. You're not going to get a Scott Boras working for you, but you'd get some representation and help with the legal aspects of signing a contract.

Also...

It's not FCS, but Jordan Lynch (former QB at NIU and Heisman candidate) was signed by the Bears as an undrafted free agent. He'd been offered a chance to try for a backup QB spot at Green Bay apparently, but turned it down in favor of a spot as (technically) a RB for the Bears. It sounds like they want to use him for trick/gadget plays mostly, but in Trestman's words "I have 10 different things I can do with you -- come with us. Come here and we'll make it work." Should be interesting to see what they can do with him.
BobLovely

sealhall74 wrote:Do the undrafted free agents typically sign on with a sports agency to represent them or is it not worth it?
Generally, they do not. There are exceptions of course. If they later earn a roster spot for the regular season, this is when they typically become "represented."

Bob
Lakesbison

Ndsu had turner

5 undrafted players

Brock Jensen MIAMI
Bryan Shepard & Leevon perry Washington
Marcus Williams Houston
Cole Jirik Kansas City (declined it to rehab shoulder)

Ryan Smith is signed in cfl and Sam Oruri is having try outs there as well