2019 Week 0 - Around the MVFC

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Hey....did you know that MVFC football actually kicks off tomorrow afternoon? Yup.

2:00 PM - Youngstown State at Samford (Socon), Guardian Credit Union FCS Kickoff on ESPN - Crampton Bowl, Montgomery, AL

There's also a game at 11 between Villanova and Colgate, as well as two FBS games (Miami at #8 Florida, and Arizona at Hawai'i) going on tomorrow.
The rest of the MVFC doesn't get started until Thursday or Saturday next week.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

Youngstown looked pretty good against traditionally a pretty decent program in Samford
wiu712

Youngstown State beat Samford 45-22 in the FCS Kickoff game. The game was played in Montgomery, Alabama.
Attendance = 12,560.

In today's other FCS game, Villanova beat Colgate 34-14.
Attendance at Colgate = 4,519.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:36 pm Youngstown looked pretty good against traditionally a pretty decent program in Samford
They did, although Samford was expected to be down, losing a Payton-award-winning QB, plus a WR and DL that are all currently on NFL rosters (https://samfordsports.com/news/2019/4/2 ... h=football). Just FYI, I checked, and they are all still listed on rosters, Hodges with the Steelers and the other two with the Broncos.

YSU played well, but it's hard to say if there wasn't a decent amount of luck with some of those turnovers that really benefited them. I'd say, Samford is going to be down quite a bit, YSU is still a question mark.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000