2019 Week 2 - Around the MVFC

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
rocki

I have a feeling this next game is going to be REALLY ugly.

https://www.montanasports.com/sports/bi ... lf-shutout
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:17 am I have a feeling this next game is going to be REALLY ugly.

https://www.montanasports.com/sports/bi ... lf-shutout
We play Montana State this year, not Montana. Might still get ugly against the Bobcats, but we don't play the Grizzlies again until next year at their place.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
rocki

My mistake. Get out of conference teams and I can't keep the "State" universities straight. Sorry.
wiu712

In week 1, Montana State lost to Texas Tech 45-10.

Yesterday, Montana State beat Southeast Missouri State 38-17.
rocki

wiu712 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:48 am In week 1, Montana State lost to Texas Tech 45-10.

Yesterday, Montana State beat Southeast Missouri State 38-17.
And SEMO lost to SIU. I haven't watched SIU yet this year - are they doing as "not so great" as we are?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:43 am My mistake. Get out of conference teams and I can't keep the "State" universities straight. Sorry.
No problem...really either team could be pretty rough...they're both pretty good.

Obviously transitive wins don't really count for much, but Montana State beat SEMO yesterday by 21 points.
SEMO beat SIU last weekend by 18 points
SIU destroyed FBS UMass yesterday by 25 points (UMass is a REALLY bad FBS team though...probably the worst FBS team).

Now, SIU often seems to be very "jekyl and hyde"...they'll do really well in some games, but completely fall on their faces in other games, but the point is, Montana State is a legitimate Top 25 team...borderline Top 10. And so far, I've seen nothing from our side to indicate that we deserve to be in those kinds of discussions.
rocki

ST_Lawson wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:25 pm
rocki wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:43 am My mistake. Get out of conference teams and I can't keep the "State" universities straight. Sorry.
No problem...really either team could be pretty rough...they're both pretty good.

Obviously transitive wins don't really count for much, but Montana State beat SEMO yesterday by 21 points.
SEMO beat SIU last weekend by 18 points
SIU destroyed FBS UMass yesterday by 25 points (UMass is a REALLY bad FBS team though...probably the worst FBS team).

Now, SIU often seems to be very "jekyl and hyde"...they'll do really well in some games, but completely fall on their faces in other games, but the point is, Montana State is a legitimate Top 25 team...borderline Top 10. And so far, I've seen nothing from our side to indicate that we deserve to be in those kinds of discussions.
That's what I was afraid of. I've never been able to get a read on SIU - just when you think they're bad, they show up with a heck of a game.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:47 pm That's what I was afraid of. I've never been able to get a read on SIU - just when you think they're bad, they show up with a heck of a game.
SIU always seems to do pretty well in their FBS games though...
Down by only 3 near the end of the 3rd against Memphis in 2017 - in a year when Memphis went 10-2 in the regular season, only losing twice to Central Florida (second time was in 2 OTs in the conference championship game) and lost their bowl game against Iowa State by 1 point.
Were leading Ole Miss by 3 at halftime and only down by 1 late in the 3rd in 2018