2020 Fall Athletics Around the Country

If you want to talk about Monmouth University Football, Quincy University Basketball, Notre Dame Men's Soccer, or whatever, this is the place.
meganeck

Big 10 is supposed to announce today they will play only conference games in football. I assume other conferences will follow suit. How will effect WIU and other similar programs who count on the money from playing Power 5 teams. I wonder how WIU and others can survive.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:18 pm Big 10 is supposed to announce today they will play only conference games in football. I assume other conferences will follow suit. How will effect WIU and other similar programs who count on the money from playing Power 5 teams. I wonder how WIU and others can survive.
I can't remember if it was mentioned here or not yet, but the Ivy League has also said that they will not be having any sports in the fall. It sounds like they are likely going to a conference-only football schedule, playing games in the spring.

As for survival of schools, I think that if this is just one season we lose, most schools will probably be ok eventually (maybe with a few extra cutbacks). If it goes on further, then all bets are off.

At this point, I'd be very surprised if there is college football at all in the fall. If it does happen, I think it'd be pretty much FBS only, conference-only games, and minimal fans (maybe only players families). The big FBS schools get a lot of money from football, but the majority of that is from TV contracts. As long as they can still play and get the video feed out to ABC/ESPN and other channels, then they can still get that money.

Another consideration though is player eligibility. If the NCAA just cancels the season outright for everyone at all levels, they can consider this season an "extra redshirt" for all fall student athletes. Instead of getting 4 eligibility seasons to fit into 6 calendar years (I think that's the requirement), you get 7 years to fit them in, and this year doesn't count against eligibility.
Although if some schools play and some don't...I'm not sure how they handle that. Obviously whichever way they go, it's going to make things pretty weird for a couple of years with current players possibly getting an extra year. I think that would most likely impact the incoming HS players for the next few years. It'll be harder for them to get spots on teams if there's an extra year's worth of players that are not leaving.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

The PAC 12 has announced that they will also be doing conference-only games this fall. That doesn't impact us directly (Big 12 hasn't cancelled non-confidence games yet), but NDSU is missing out on their first FBS game in a handful of years. They were supposed to take on Oregon this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wiu712

Illinois State's football game against the University of Illinois at Memorial Stadium in Champaign on Sept. 4 won't be happening.

The Big Ten Conference announced Thursday its league members will be playing only conference games in the 2020 season. ISU was to receive a $450,000 payout from Illinois.

Northern Illinois will be losing two games from their schedule: September 12 at Maryland and September 26 at Iowa.
wiu712

More than $100 million at stake if other Power 5 schools eliminate non-conference games.
From USA Today:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 420850002/
wiu712

The Patriot League announced Monday morning it is cancelling fall sports. The plan is to play football in the spring,
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

The MEAC has announced they will not be playing football this fall. Players from two teams in the MEAC have already tested positive for COVID.

So, what I've heard so far regarding the FCS:
Ivy League - No fall sports
Patriot League - No fall sports
MEAC - No fall sports
Hampton (Big South) - No fall sports

EDIT - Hero Sports has a page that lists all the FCS conferences and their plans: https://herosports.com/fcs/football-202 ... eason-bzbz
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Non-football conferences, but with teams that play in FCS leagues...Horizon League postponing all fall sports until October 1, West Coast Conference delaying until September 24.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

ST_Lawson
Site Admin