Free textbooks for everyone?

Miscellaneous discussions. Things that don't have anything to do with Western, Leatherneck Athletics, college sports in general, etc.
sealhall74

Here is my suggestion for setting WIU apart from the rest of the higher education world: WIU becomes the first and only public university to provide free e-textbooks to all students. I spent a few hours this past weekend going through my book collection. Needless to say, I had many out-of-date job and career-related computer books. Call me a bit of a hoarder for this, but I also had nearly every college textbook still in my possession. I turned the Big Six Oh over the weekend and felt it was now time to shed the worry of someone having to deal with all of these books when I die, so my book collection is now about 20% of what it was before thanks to the trash service and the recycling dropoff location.

Senator Dick Durbin from Illinois gave it a shot (his idea is not free but more affordable) last year but that bill is going to die a slow death (https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/114/s2176). Why wait for government to make it happen? We should take the initiative. I know the WIU bookstore might take a big hit by doing something like this. On the other hand, this action just might attract several hundred students who would rather save the approximate $1200 that are typically spent each and every year on books. We are looking for some kind of niche, right? This would be a damn good first start. The additional students just might drop in to the Bookstore to purchase a sweatshirt or two along with some Ts. We should probably put a new label on that space in the Union and call it "Rocky's Fashion Shop".

So where do you get free digital/electronic books these days? There are several sites out there. I spent a few minutes browsing one and from what I could tell, their collection was plenty good enough to get a kid through at least three years of college math classes. If you have some free time, take a look and see how your majors or subjects of interest fare.

http://bookboon.com/
Embrace the pace of the race.