IPFW Athletics

Miscellaneous discussions. Things that don't have anything to do with Western, Leatherneck Athletics, college sports in general, etc.
wiu712

Major changes may be coming soon to IPFW Athletics.

My niece goes to IPFW. And she was telling me about the possible changes coming to IPFW.

IPFW had been jointly-operated by both Indiana University and Purdue University. But that has changed, and only Purdue will be operating the campus. A name change will be coming next summer. Most frequently heard choice is "Purdue-Fort Wayne".

Purdue is now reviewing IPFW's athletics. Looks like Men's Volleyball will be dropped. That team plays in the Midwestern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association.

Purdue's options could include returning IPFW to NCAA Division 2. Prior to joining the Summit League, IPFW was a member of the Great Lakes Valley Conference--same conference as Quincy University, Truman State, UIS, etc.
meganeck

Don't they go by Fort Wayne now, having dropped IPFW
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:30 pm Don't they go by Fort Wayne now, having dropped IPFW
For athletics, they go by Fort Wayne, but they're still technically IPFW. If/when this goes through, they'd likely just be Purdue-Fort Wayne...maybe PFW for short (not to be confused with DFW Airport ;)) and probably still go by Fort Wayne for athletics.

I've heard anything from them going to the Horizon League to dropping to DII, similar to their "cousins" at Purdue-Northwest (DII GLIAC athletics)
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

ST_Lawson wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:37 pmI've heard anything from them going to the Horizon League to dropping to DII, similar to their "cousins" at Purdue-Northwest (DII GLIAC athletics)
Current Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) members:
Ashland University (Ashland, Ohio)
Davenport University (Grand Rapids, Michigan)
Ferris State University (Big Rapids, Michigan)
Grand Valley State University (Allendale, Michigan)
Lake Superior State University (Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan)
Michigan Technological University (Houghton, Michigan)
Northern Michigan University (Marquette, Michigan)
Northwood University (Midland, Michigan)
Purdue University Northwest (Hammond, Indiana)
Saginaw Valley State University (University Center, Michigan)
Tiffin University (Tiffin, Ohio)
Wayne State University (Detroit, Michigan)

Tiffin will be leaving the GLIAC on July 1, 2018 to join the Great Midwest Athletic Conference.

UW-Parkside will be joining the GLIAC on July 1, 2018. They are currently in the Great Lakes Valley Conference.
meganeck

ST_Lawson wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:37 pm
meganeck wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:30 pm Don't they go by Fort Wayne now, having dropped IPFW
For athletics, they go by Fort Wayne, but they're still technically IPFW. If/when this goes through, they'd likely just be Purdue-Fort Wayne...maybe PFW for short (not to be confused with DFW Airport ;)) and probably still go by Fort Wayne for athletics.

I've heard anything from them going to the Horizon League to dropping to DII, similar to their "cousins" at Purdue-Northwest (DII GLIAC athletics)
Ok that makes sense, all I knew was that wanting to be called Fort Wayne for their athletic teams I guess