Automatic Title Generator?

Miscellaneous discussions. Things that don't have anything to do with Western, Leatherneck Athletics, college sports in general, etc.
sealhall74

I swear the folks running the Western Courier must be using an automatic title generator for their articles. Our swim and dive teams "sink" or "flop" if they dont fare so well one day. Our tennis team "rises from the ashes" (Arthur?) in a match. Now our WBB team is facing the "Cougars" in a big conference game tonight. I realize they are just students and we are lucky to have them but where is the faculty oversight? This is borderline embarrassing.
Embrace the pace of the race.
sealhall74

Hot off the Western Courier titles wire: The women are now on a "losing streak" after losing the USD game. Is this what the POTUS means by truthful hyperbole?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:03 pm Hot off the Western Courier titles wire: The women are now on a "losing streak" after losing the USD game. Is this what the POTUS means by truthful hyperbole?
Wow....I mean, I guess it's technically true...a streak of 1...but...wow.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

Here is another puzzling headline from Friday's Western Courier:
"Necks hope to sweep Golden Eagles"
https://westerncourier.com/40106/sports ... en-eagles/

This article is about the Men's basketball team. Oral Roberts won the January game. So Western cannot "sweep the Golden Eagles".
sealhall74

Here is another winner related to the upcoming Ag Mech Club Farm Show in Western Hall:

"Mechs to march on Q-Lot"

https://westerncourier.com/40126/news/m ... -on-q-lot/

712, regarding the sweep, the only thing that makes sense is that someone or something (the automatic generator with a little embedded artificial intelligence) knows that both the men and women are facing the Golden Eagles today, and I guess a "sweep" is possible.

There is obviously a "bug" in the system somewhere and it needs to be looked into or the article writers need to exercise due diligence on their work products.
sealhall74

After further review, the problems with the online edition of the Western Courier extend beyond just the funny article titles. Below is a recent good news story. The first few words of the article text which I assume mention the award recipient name appear to be missing. For the life of me, how can administration be satisfied with this? Well, it's a student-run operation they may say. If so, how can the students live with this? Take it offline and fix it. Maybe all is well in the print version and we can simply overlook the shortcomings in the electronic version? If so, your priorities are messed up as kids rely on their phones and computers for news today.

https://westerncourier.com/40128/news/w ... eepstakes/
sealhall74

Here we go again. "Track and field dominate in meet" down at Carbondale. Men finished in 12th place among 12 teams with 8 points. Women finished in 8th place among 14 teams with 24 points. Maybe some good performances from our 'Necks but "dominate"? Hardly. We are living in a world where words and veracity no longer matter. It is all about the spin.
Tere North

sealhall74 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:55 pm Here we go again. "Track and field dominate in meet" down at Carbondale. Men finished in 12th place among 12 teams with 8 points. Women finished in 8th place among 14 teams with 24 points. Maybe some good performances from our 'Necks but "dominate"? Hardly. We are living in a world where words and veracity no longer matter. It is all about the spin.
Consider the administration they are learning from. Then it makes sense.
OldHare

The Leathernecks may have an intern from the Summit League. Notice that the headline says "Home teams sweep Thursday action" and then look at the first score.
http://www.thesummitleague.org/sports/m ... 0208zc5aex
sealhall74

BREAKING NEWS: Today is Saturday and there is a big game in Western Hall this afternoon. You might want to get out early for this one as the Courier says it is on "Friday". not once, but twice in the same sentence. :lol:

Come on Jack, it is high time to intervene here and fix this problem. I was in software development, not journalism but something called "peer review" seems very appropriate to both fields.