WBC coming to WIU

Miscellaneous discussions. Things that don't have anything to do with Western, Leatherneck Athletics, college sports in general, etc.
leatherneckcountry

A hot topic on campus West Boro Baptist church is coming to campus to protest at the INSU game as INSU has an openly gay player on there team.
rocki

Kids will be on break, so there won't be much of an audience for their idiocy.
leatherneckcountry

rocki wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:52 pm Kids will be on break, so there won't be much of an audience for their idiocy.
Yeah there supposed to be in Quincy the following day.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Honestly, I think the proper response for this should be to completely ignore them. I know that there's going to be counter protests, but WBC wants attention...they want counter protests and media.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
GV Dad

Hopefully some students will stick around to protest these lowlifes and then go to the game. Being from KC, I have to deal with these pricks quite often. With all the good people getting killed in mass shootings, how do groups like this not get targeted at least once? I guess hate loves hate.
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:56 pm Honestly, I think the proper response for this should be to completely ignore them. I know that there's going to be counter protests, but WBC wants attention...they want counter protests and media.
Yeah I would love it if no one gave them the time of day but we know that won't happen
rocki

GV Dad wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:07 pm Hopefully some students will stick around to protest these lowlifes and then go to the game. Being from KC, I have to deal with these pricks quite often. With all the good people getting killed in mass shootings, how do groups like this not get targeted at least once? I guess hate loves hate.
If I might, I'd like to suggest that most people don't agree with them, and are also non-violent. I find their message abhorrent, but to counter-protest or retaliate would only stoke their need to be noticed. Ignoring them is far more disturbing to them than attacking them back would be. (Kinda like the old "what if you gave a party and nobody came?" type thing)
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I do find it funny that they're protesting a game that will be the lowest-attended of the season, at a time when all the students will have gone home.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:34 pm I do find it funny that they're protesting a game that will be the lowest-attended of the season, at a time when all the students will have gone home.
I think it may because of the openly gay player from INSU.
rocki

My biggest question is why haven't they protested as ISUb before now? I realize they're probably doing this since they are doing other protests in IL and MO the next week or so, but it is weird they're protesting at the university this team is visiting instead of protesting them at home (like these idiots make any sense, anyway :roll: ).