How To: Panoramas

Miscellaneous discussions. Things that don't have anything to do with Western, Leatherneck Athletics, college sports in general, etc.
sealhall74

Not sure we will ever match the one that ST did, but I came across this tutorial for doing it the hard way:

[youtube][/youtube]

I will be giving it a try this week. Just have to find my first guinea pig location. Maybe a Civil War battlefield? An overlook of the Potomac River from the cannon gunnery site? Probably just the empty athletic field down the street.
Embrace the pace of the race.
WIU0812

Seal,

Not sure if you have a smart phone or not, but most all smart phones now have a setting on their camera for panoramic pictures.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Yea, all I did was stand up, open up the camera on my iphone, then kinda turn in a circle.

One tip though, when you're doing panoramic photos (whether with a camera or with a smartphone), the pivot point should be the camera itself.
Essentially, you either put the camera on a tripod and then move around the tripod, rotating the camera, or you hold your phone and imagine that it's on a tripod and you move around it.
The panoramics tend to blend together much better when you do this....there's technical reasons for it that I won't get into, but just trust me, it works better.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

Can smartphones do the 360s? If not, here are the details for doing that the hard way, complete with the software stitching process:

[youtube][/youtube]
Embrace the pace of the race.
WIU0812

I do not think they can do that, but if you did two panoramas and were very careful it would essentially be the same thing.