Macomb and Area Restaurants

Miscellaneous discussions. Things that don't have anything to do with Western, Leatherneck Athletics, college sports in general, etc.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

LocalFan wrote:What recently opened in the former Baja Burrito space on Adams Street? I saw an open sign and some WIU clothing hanging near the windows, but there's no sign indicating the type of business. I never got a chance to try Baja Burrito as their hours were really strange and they weren't around very long. Would love for another burrito place like a Chipotle or Qdoba to give it a try. I'm hoping the Mediterranean restaurant being advertised across the street from the Sports Corner actually opens in the next few months. Love me some gyros!
I'll have to take a look this afternoon and let you know. I haven't noticed anything going in there, but I haven't really looked in a few weeks.
I ate at Baja Burrito the first week they were open and it was...not great. Service was slow and the food was pretty "meh" (a solid step down from Chipotle), which I mostly chalked up to them just being new and still getting all the kinks worked out. Apparently they didn't, or at least weren't able to bring in the student crowd like they wanted to. I think the idea was that they'd be open for like an hour or so after the bars closed so that the college kids coming back to campus from the bars would pass by and get burritos. Since they were owned by the same people as Chubby's, when they closed, Chubby's said that they'd see about rolling some of the offerings into their own menu and expanding their hours also, but I haven't heard if they ended up doing that or not.

Yea, I was assuming that Mediterranean place would be open by the fall semester, but it's apparently taking longer than initially assumed. I'm cautiously optimistic....we'll see.
Also, someone was suppose to be opening a new restaurant in the spot where Pag's Pizza was (the second location...east side of the square, not the first, at the southwest corner), but I haven't seen/heard any progress on that either.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

ST_Lawson wrote:Someone was suppose to be opening a new restaurant in the spot where Pag's Pizza was (the second location...east side of the square, not the first, at the southwest corner), but I haven't seen/heard any progress on that either.
That was to be La Fuente Bar & Grill. They spent a lot of time in getting the necessary liquor license and in getting the place cleaned/re-modeled. But they have changed their mind and will not be opening. That space is back on the market.
wiutrmpt98

ISS (International Sandwich Shop) on Adams across from Sherman Hall. Great bread and open late.
Using Tapatalk