Seating Capacity at Western Hall

Miscellaneous discussions. Things that don't have anything to do with Western, Leatherneck Athletics, college sports in general, etc.
wiu712

Just noticed that the seating capacity at Western Hall is now listed as 4,388 as seen in this Athletics web page:
http://www.goleathernecks.com/news/2014 ... ath=wbball

The seating capacity used to posted as 5,139.

Looks like 751 seats have "disappeared".
Last edited by wiu712 on Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sealhall74

Butts are bigger this day and age. ;)
Embrace the pace of the race.
Neckfansince71

I think that is the number of seats without the south side upper level being pulled out. In the future I can see those seats totally disappearing! I also think the vision in the near future is to bowl in the lower level very similar to Northwestern's Ryan Arena! ;) jc
wiu712

Neckfansince71 wrote:I think that is the number of seats without the south side upper level being pulled out. In the future I can see those seats totally disappearing!
Those Purple seats in the south balcony are relatively new in comparison to the rest of the seating at Western Hall. Why would they be considered for removal ???

The south balcony is used at graduations and at "big" basketball games.
sealhall74

If bowl seating is put in place, I could also see one or maybe both balconies turned into overhang seating with several conference rooms/viewing suites beneath it similar to College Park Center (UT-Arlington).

https://www.google.com/search?q=college ... B610%3B404

That overhang seating brings the fans closer to the court.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Not sure how overhang seating would work with the support beams there. Do you think they'd just build the "overhang" part around them...use them for support of the overhang section?

I do really like the idea of having a few suites in the south section, especially if we're able to add back in the lost seats with more of a "bowl".
Not a bad solution, and it would be MUCH cheaper than building a new arena.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU0812

I still think this is a band aide. I think we will see the bowl seating, but highly doubt that they will be doing suites or any seating that is "hanging". Techinically the seats would just have to rest on the suites below them so they would be the backbone on which the stands rest not the support beams. I really am not sure what they will do as there really is no great need for extra seating in western hall as is. It would be nice to see them add a real concession stand and serve more than popcorn and soda.
wiu712

WIU0812 wrote:It would be nice to see them add a real concession stand and serve more than popcorn and soda.
There is a definite need for better concession choices on those "double-header" days when both the Women's and Men's team are both playing. We had one of those double-headers last Saturday, and there will be more coming up this season.

People who attend both games are spending 5 hours at Western Hall (4PM-9PM).