H.S. football & liability

Miscellaneous discussions. Things that don't have anything to do with Western, Leatherneck Athletics, college sports in general, etc.
leatherface

One must wonder how the concerns about concussions will affect high school football in the future. I'm concerned when the law suits start- and one already in IL, I believe- how many high schools will be able to afford to keep football. Insurance rates going up, more liability for schools and coaches, possible increased cost of equipment, and a general "fear" among parents. I have recently heard several young parents who have father's who played at an early age indicate their son would not be encouraged to play football- just not worth it.

I started playing tackle football in the 6th grade, coached high school football and love the sport. However, I can understand this is an issue. Maybe more " club" teams will appear for interested students. A few parental lawsuits against high schools for concussion related health issues, and things could get dicy for some schools to consider maintaining the sport.
wiu712

The upcoming IHSA concussion lawsuit was the lead story on Sunday night's WGEM-TV Sports:
http://www.wgem.com/story/27570293/2014 ... a-football