I Love/Hate/Miss ...

Miscellaneous discussions. Things that don't have anything to do with Western, Leatherneck Athletics, college sports in general, etc.
sealhall74

I see we don't have a thread devoted to those emotions which define us as human beings, so thought I would create one. Only rule is your post must contain any or all of those four letter words along with a "because" clause. I will get the ball rolling.

I love this time of year because NCAA March Madness, MLB opening day, and The Masters all happen at nearly the same time. BTW, I am not much of a golfer, but IMO, the Jack Nicklaus charge to the 1986 Masters Championship at age 46 is the most spectacular sports feat in my lifetime:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_Masters_Tournament

I hate the current NCAA post-season landscape because it is watered down with totally irrelevant games in tournaments like the CBI and CIT. Tonight I was sitting at the sports bar with 10 humongous screens surrounding me. I found myself paying more attention to the SWAC conference women's bowling championship between Prairie View A&M and Texas Southern than that basketball thing going on between Northern Arizona and NJIT.

I miss seeing Academic Coordinator Mary Fenlon on the Georgetown bench. Mary Fenlon was John Thompson Jr's first hire when he got the Georgetown head coach job back in 1972. She accompanied him on recruiting trips and sat on or near the bench for all games, including those on the road. She would often displease her boss by not approving practice times that would cause too many of her "students" to miss class. Mary retired in 1999 and had much to do with ensuring that 97% of GU 4-year players received their degrees during her tenure. I miss that lady because her omnipotent presence on the basketball staff truly demonstrated that the "student" in "student-athlete" must always be the first priority.

http://www.hoyabasketball.com/history/fenlon.htm
Embrace the pace of the race.
Necks2003

I hate the Dakotas because it is a cold, boring and miserable place to live, work or visit.

I love that people from the Dakotas claim to enjoy the cold because it keeps all the idiots out, but in fact, the cold is what keeps them all there.
sealhall74

I will miss seeing Shaka Smart just down the road from me because he plays a brand of basketball that is fun to watch and energizes the fan base. Could history repeat itself - a successful and well-respected VCU coach heading to a big-name school known more for its football than basketball? Add to that he is replacing a guy (Rick Barnes) who had a 186–94 (.664) Big-12 conference record along with 15 trips to the NCAA in his 16 years. Shaka loves pressure and he will get a good taste of it in Austin. I am not sure how RamNation is taking the news - their fan board has been unreachable all morning.
Western_101

I love college football.

I hate that the off season feels like an eternity.

I miss the glory days of Leatherneck Football.
sealhall74

I love totally "off-the-wall" controlled school-sanctioned celebratory events like the Duke bonfires because they are great for building campus morale.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/4/7 ... ch-bonfire
letsgonecks

I too hate the football offseason, so much I can't wait for the write-up and video on spring practice!!!!!

I miss Terell Parks.......man we need a big to setup!!!!!

Love this forum. Love to see what others have to say about WIU and gives me my fix. Though opinions often vary, everyone just wants WIU as a university and our sports programs to succeed. Plus, my wife and most my friends probably get sick of me working in WIU sports into most conversations.