Document and Publication Services being "disassembled"

Miscellaneous discussions. Things that don't have anything to do with Western, Leatherneck Athletics, college sports in general, etc.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

It's been mentioned in a few articles, but I thought I'd post it here just in case anyone is curious.

Western is essentially dismantling the Document and Publication Services office. DPS is actually composed of a few "areas" that are being restructured or relocated depending on function.

The graphic designers - two graphic designers; one will be going to University Relations, one to Visual Production Center
Mailing Services - the "mail room" stays as-is on the north side of the building
Production/printing - Two large printing press machines are being sold off and the two press operators will be out of jobs at the end of August. Stuff that was printed on the press machines will be outsourced. The digital printers (essentially large, high-end color laser printers...2 of them) will be kept and 3 personnel will remain here to print smaller jobs quickly (brochures, flat sheets, etc.).
Web (me, essentially) - I'm moving to be in uTech as a part of Web Services (located in Horrabin Hall) as of the end of this week (already took down the "shrine" to Western Athletics...banners, posters, etc. that was in my office).

Everyone else...front desk people, financial people, the director, have found jobs elsewhere on campus. Some have moved already, but all will be in the new offices by the time school starts.

Overall, 4 people are losing their jobs: the two press operators (they've tested for other jobs on campus, but aren't in the running for anything that's currently open) and two graphic designers (one in UR, one in VPC) who are being displaced when the two graphic designers from here move over there (more seniority).

Anyway, just thought some people might be curious about what's going on, in case they'd heard anything...rumors or whatever.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Tere North

Thanks for letting us know Scott. Some major changes ahead for WIU, especially as it has resisted making much needed changes in the past, choosing instead to ignore the writing on the wall. Hope these turn out to be good changes and glad you are landing on your feet.
wiu712

News story from the Associated Press (8-18-15):

Eastern Illinois University President David Glassman says the school is laying off 67 employees and says more people will lose jobs as the school wrestles with declining enrollment and financial uncertainties.

Glassman said in a news release Tuesday that another 51 open positions will not be filled.

Glassman said unspecified additional cuts will happen "very shortly."

The jobs are civil service or administrative and professional positions rather than faculty.

The release says the cuts are intended to reduce expenses to deal with declining enrollment at the Charleston school. Enrollment fell 23.4 percent between 2010 and 2014, from 11,630 to 8,913.

But the release notes the university is also still waiting for a state budget. Gov. Bruce Rauner and the General Assembly remain locked in a stalemate about state expenses.
Last edited by wiu712 on Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Western is kinda in the same boat as Eastern, although from what I've heard, it sounds like Western had built up a bit more of a "reserve" the last few years than Eastern had. Western can go a while longer without having to start looking at the kind of cuts that Eastern has started making, although I do know that many departments have been instructed to come up with 5% and 10% cost reduction plans. Thankfully for me, in my area (uTech) that would mostly involve delayed computer upgrades and other tech improvements rather than laying people off (not right away anyway).
sealhall74

What impact would free community college tuition have on the state 4-year schools. I would have to think it would not be good news if it does come to pass. Also problematic are those European colleges in Germany and other countries which currently offer free or nearly free tuition, even for international students.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

That 23.4% enrollment decline at EIU over the past 4 years is very shocking!

Any word on what the Western enrollment picture looks like ???
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Well, we won't know exact numbers for this fall until they release the enrollment numbers after "10th day" (essentially the 10th day/2 weeks of classes, after stragglers have registered and things have kinda settled down a bit), but you can view previous year's numbers here: http://www.wiu.edu/IRP/enrollments/tse.php

I put the undergrad, grad, and total numbers into a chart so that it's easier to view and calculated both change vs previous year and change vs 4 years previous ( As of 2010 we had 12,585 total students, and last year we had 11,458 total students...a drop of ~8.96%. Year-to-year, we dropped between 2.13% and 4.08% every year the last 3 years, and unfortunately it looks to be about the same for this year (probably closer to the high end of that range). My guess is that when numbers come out for this semester, we'll be looking at having dropped ~12% total over the previous 4 years.

So, it's a decline, but nowhere near as bad as Eastern has seen in that timeframe. I don't know if it's just an issue with location (if you're looking at a school on that side of IL...you've got Eastern, ISU, and U of I as potential options) or what, but I also know that overall college enrollment in the US is declining a bit (not as much as we or Eastern have seen, but still...many schools are down).

I don't really know what the answer is, or if it's even something we can fix or if it's just a change in the "mindset" of the current generation of college-age kids.
sealhall74

Getting all public 4-year colleges under the same "umbrella" system would go a long way in fixing the problem. Just my opinion, but the way things are now, the rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer. Sad to say this. After I retired, I had every intention to move back to Illinois but with the financial condition of the state right now, I would be foolish to make the move.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

ST_Lawson wrote:If you're looking at a school on that side of IL...you've got Eastern, ISU, and U of I as potential options.
Don't forget UIS in Springfield.
leatherface

I've wondered in the past if WESTERN might not benefit from being under the U of Illinois system. University of Illinois- Macomb?